Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #1 
alexlohaus

UGH...Walmart :(

My roommate and I just moved into our apartment. So we went grocery shopping at Walmart, and I had to stop by the bettas to see how our Walmart keeps them. It was horrible! Most of the cups were only half full. I'm not a confrontational person, otherwise I'd have found someone instantly. Instead, I found a little guy with only a half inch of water and he's now in a much bigger bowl in our living room. His fins look okay, but he has a weird darker patch of scales over half his face. Not sure if it's anything to worry about, they just look like darker scales. The only issue is that he seems to struggle swimming. We'll see how he does overnight, I'm just glad I could help one of those poor fish!
alexlohaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:46 PM   #2 
MMAsac
Banned

yes walmart, and other stores bum me out that they dont take better care of live creatures. Glad that you brought one home, atleast he will find out what love is! Now get some pics! hahha
MMAsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #3 
alexlohaus

If he makes it to tomorrow I will, but right now Cedric is content to chill at the bottom of the bowl where I can't take pictures!
Old 08-16-2011, 12:36 AM   #4 
audjree

i went to my local walmart today, and just looking at their bettas is heartbreaking. ): last time i went was about two weeks ago, and most of them were healthy (one had swim bladder disorder) because they must've been new arrivals. today, practically all of them had fin rot, the one that had swim bladder disorder was still there, and half of them were either floating or lying near the bottom, practically lifeless.

it was just sad, because most of them were beautiful, there were two absolutely gorgeous crowntails, one was mostly a light, almost white yellowish-peach, and the other was the same color, but had a beautiful dragon pattern. unfortunately, they both had fin rot. ): it's just breaks my heart how they don't care for them like they should, and how most people are ignorant about the proper care they should give them.

i hope your little rescue does well! <3
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:34 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

Last time I looked in the pet section of walmart I ended up with three of them
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #6 
alexlohaus

Here are 2 pictures of the Walmart boy, Cedric. He's still hanging out at the bottom of his bowl and he struggles so hard to swim to the top :( Any suggestions that would help him out? I'd really rather not lower the water level but if it's better for him I will. Also, should I put in aquarium salt or anything else? I've never had an unhealthy betta so I'm not completely sure what to do for him.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #7 
Vaughan06

I see a lot of people complaining about cups being half full, so I have to say... The cups we have at the Walmart I work in have a small tube that comes from the lid for air to get in. We cant fill the cups too much over half full or it will block the air supply. Have you checked for that?
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #8 
alexlohaus

No, there weren't any tubes for air. Just some holes in the lid. And like I said, there was only a half inch of water, which is much less than half full.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #9 
audjree

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlohaus View Post
Here are 2 pictures of the Walmart boy, Cedric. He's still hanging out at the bottom of his bowl and he struggles so hard to swim to the top :( Any suggestions that would help him out? I'd really rather not lower the water level but if it's better for him I will. Also, should I put in aquarium salt or anything else? I've never had an unhealthy betta so I'm not completely sure what to do for him.
aw. ): i think lowering the water level would help him get some air easier and faster so he won't really have to struggle. it looks like he doesn't have any fin damage, which is good, so i don't think he'll be needing the aquarium salt.

i'm not exactly sure what else you can do for now, i guess just let him settle in and make sure he has some clean, warm water.
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #10 
harrypotter

cedric is beautiful!
harrypotter is offline   Reply With Quote