Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2011, 01:15 PM   #11 
Momo x3

Thankfully they've stopped selling fish at our local WalMart. I guess somebody complained or something but regardless, I'm happy they don't have any more betts and fish being poorly cared for.

Poor Cedric :( When he colors up some he'll sure be beautiful! I'm no expert so I can't recommend anything, but I'll stay positive for you. :)
Momo x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #12 
alexlohaus

Thanks for the good thoughts everyone! He seems to be doing a little better this afternoon. I took out a little water, but not much since I still want to keep the heater in there. He's swimming up for air more often and his gills aren't moving quite as fast. I think I still will put in some AQ salt since they look a little inflamed though.
alexlohaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #13 
audjree

that's good! (: i hope he continues to do well, he's a handsome little fella.
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #14 
cuttlefish120

i'm glad hes doing better.anymore i don't even dare to go by the bettas at walmart.... but actually my town ACE hardware store has a betta section o_o they keep really good care of them, i'm yet to see and unhealthy one there!
cuttlefish120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #15 
Bloeduwedd

I hope he continues to get better. He really is gorgeous :)

Lucky for my local Walmart, they don't sell fish... otherwise everytime I got a phone card, I'd be looking at the fish, and if they were being taken care of poorly I'd jump down a manager's throat -.-
Bloeduwedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #16 
lcbrent

The walmart live fish section never fails to pain me. I rarely go to a walmart if possible. I was out of town last week and need something and it was conveniently across the street from my hotel. I couldn't help going through the fish section. It was all I could do not to walk out with a dozen betta. If I could have figured out a way to bring one home I would have at least nabbed two or three. :( They didn't look horrible but definatly in the misserable category.

Good luck with Cedric. He's quite a handsome fish and its great to hear he's in a good home now.

A thought for you, my betta girls seemed to preffer dim lighting when I got them home and they were getting settled. They still seem to like the shady areas. See if a bit more cover from the room light encourages him to come out a bit more.

Have you tried some different kinds of food to tempt him out (pellet, flake, frozen, live)? I like a bit of bribery with my animals. It usually works as a fair measure of how they are doing, furry and finned alike.

On walmart- there are some good walmarts out there. They are not ALL bad. I think its unfortunetly up to whomever is in charge whether or not it's a good, bad or ugly. I have seen one good walmart fish section in all the years i've kept fish. I like to think that if enough people frequent the fish section and complain often if they are not well cared for they will either fix it or get rid of it. Glad to hear you guys are willing to bother them to fix it!

Last edited by lcbrent; 08-16-2011 at 06:16 PM.
lcbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:20 PM   #17 
Myates

I have to agree with Icbrent, dim lighting and low water will help him out. Maybe a dose of stress coat if possible. He's a handsome little guy, best wishes!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:10 AM   #18 
alexlohaus

When I changed his water yesterday I added some BettaFix and aquarium salt. Today he's so much better! He's at the top of his bowl, and although he's still having some trouble swimming around he's at least doing so. Still not eating, I forgot to pick up some frozen bloodworms. I offered him some freeze dried and he didn't take it. So I think I'll just keep trying to tempt him with the pellets. If he doesn't eat for quite some time I'll go back and get some frozen goodies. I've been keeping the light off in the kitchen for the most part and we haven't been bothering him too much so hopefully he continues to progress! He even has a bit more color to him today :)
alexlohaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #19 
audjree

i'm glad he's doing well. (: actually, i've heard around here that bettafix isn't good for them as it could possibly damage their labrynth organ? but most of the reviews i've seen online says it's like a miracle drug. haha i don't know, perhaps someone else here might know the answer.

Last edited by audjree; 08-17-2011 at 11:05 AM.
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #20 
Norichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloeduwedd View Post
I hope he continues to get better. He really is gorgeous :)

Lucky for my local Walmart, they don't sell fish... otherwise everytime I got a phone card, I'd be looking at the fish, and if they were being taken care of poorly I'd jump down a manager's throat -.-
I'm with you there. I... am an unflinching, confrontational person, and while my tone is polite, I don't avoid conflict either. Really irks some people, especially pet store employees

My WalMart doesn't do fish either, hasn't in years. But somebody, no one knows who, put four goldfish in a fountain in lawn and garden because they thought it made the display look cool. Stupid WalMart... and nobody cares if they die because 'they're just fish.' That's how I got Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum- got the manager to give them to me.

So, kudos to you, alex, for improving the life of a lovely betta. <3 So good to know that there are people like you looking out for them.
Norichan is offline   Reply With Quote