Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2011, 04:22 AM   #1 
Draug Isilme

I'm no expert, but..... >.>;

I swear, today when I went to buy a marimo at Petsmart, while looking through the halfmoon bettas, I saw one that looked like a double tail O.o; It didn't look like it had any nicks of any sort from what I could tell... It had 'Halfmoon' on the label, and they were only selling, or should I say "selling," Halfmoons, Dragonscales, Veiltails, and Crowntails.... and females, but they didn't label as to what kind.. I'm assuming veiltail females, but *shrugs* I dunno...
Has anyone else come across such an incident, or could I just be mistaken? I partly want to know out of curiousity and so I'll know whether or not I should learn how to identify different types so that way I won't end up getting the wrong type if certain ones are uber similar >.>;

If it's still there when I go Wednesday to get my new betta, I'll be sure to take a picture of it and post it to this thread so I can possibly get a confirmation on what it is...
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:37 AM   #2 
Draug Isilme

*shrugs* It might've been a halfmoon doubletail...
Old 08-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #3 
NCPanthersgurl

I've had two halfmoon double tails. My first was sold as such, my second was labeled as a halfmoon. It's possible. Just make sure the split comes from the end of the torso and it should be a double. :)
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #4 
Bloeduwedd

My doubletail Stitch was sold to me as a veiltail XD
Bloeduwedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #5 
youlovegnats

The females at Petsmart are usually VT. :) I found my CT mama at a local place.
I was sold my Smirnoff (HMPK) as a VT.. xD I got him for $3! :DD
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #6 
Draug Isilme

xD Okay, so it is a definite possibility it's some sort of double tail.... I'll look into it as much as I can and see if I'm able to identify it myself. I'll still be sure to take pics ^.^ Well, again, if he's still there >.>... Might even buy him, too... Although, I'm curious to know if I'd be able to get him a bit cheaper since they messed up and labeled it wrong xD ...... They better not try to throw it away or anything if I do point that fault out >.< I'll snatch it back and walk out of the store with it if they do!
I wonder why they only usually sell veil tail femmies? I suppose it keeps people at bay so they won't try to breed specific bettas on their own, buuuuut that's just a guess.. Oh, and because usually females don't sell like hot cakes in comparison to males.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #7 
youlovegnats

Yeah that's true. I dunno why they only sell VT's... :( makes me saaaddd.
I do breed- but my tail types are all mixed (except my CT spawn- they're all CT :D ) SPEAKING OF! I need to do water changes...*groan*

anywho.....*wanders off* >__>;
Old 08-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #8 
Draug Isilme

Yeah, me too... I had half a mind to get a female, but when I saw they only sold veil tails.. not trying to be mean, but I've always had veil tails throughout my life and I'd like a change of pace.. That's cool that you breed ^.^ I would like to, but I'm not equipped or ready for that kind of responsibility when it comes to fish, and I'm just glad my morals scream at me, saying "no, not until you're ready." Otherwise, I'd jump on it, and probably end up with a mass killing spree of bettas ;__; I don't think I can handle that and would rather not if I can avoid it....
Hehheh, well hey, at least your fishies will get clean water! I'm sure they'll be extra grateful for that! And in return, they'll stay just as lovely as ever, if not become even more outstanding than usual ^.^
Old 08-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #9 
youlovegnats

:D yep yep! I'm glad you want to wait until your ready to spawn! A lot of new members on here are already trying to breed and getting their spawners killed because they aren't ready and have no idea what they are doing. D:
VT girls are nice! I love my 3 girls <3. I honestly think that girls are more fun than boys are :D they're so lovely and zippy! My males (except mars and Smirnoff) are all "herp derp- I'm boring". [:B
I've been feeding my fry some boiled egg yolk and its in clumps at the bottom >_< soooo grooossss! D:
Old 08-16-2011, 02:00 PM   #10 
Draug Isilme

Indeed ^.^... I just care about living things too much, and I honestly never knew what I was doing wrong until recently. When I was younger, I did think it was okay to have them in small bowls, and of course they all died on me within a month or so... (hell, I didn't even have the right conditioner! The only thing we had was a pH up, and my dad told me it was okay to use that... and of course I trust my dad, but that ended up being a huge mistake...). So yeah, about 4 years ago, I said enough was enough.. While I did more research (not quite as extensive as I have now), I've had two bettas that lasted approximately two years.. Still not great, but definately an improvement ^.^ Now I'm trying to get as much info as possible, and this site has really helped! Trying to give the fish the respect it deserves and treat it as a living being than just a pretty decoration piece I can just mount on my wall... Until I can at least improve in my care skills, I know breeding isn't right for me.. even moreso, until I'm able to get the adequate amount of space for them as well.
xD I've thought about a sorority... From what I've read, it seems all kinds of fun! Sometimes males are pretty slow and boring... I love the ones that have a bit of fire in them, though >.>... I think the only thing I'm afraid of is not having a place for all the femmies and how their personalities will clash.. I had a science teacher in the 6th grade who tried having a sorority in her classroom.. it was so depressing... They tore at each others fins, chased each other around, and eventually ended up dying one by one... It wasn't a good impression on her part, either 'cause she just kepted them in the tank and let them kill each other off one by one... -.-