Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #1 
fishcurl

How does your garden grow?

Does anyone else garden? Even if it's only a pot of herbs on the counter sill?

I'd love to hear about your gardens and maybe even see some pictures

-------------
As for me, I'm a newbie gardener. I've lived in a condo for the last 15 years, so when my husband and I bought our first house with a big yard...boy were we in for a surprise!

It's a very slow learning curve and with our toddler it's rather difficult to accomplish anything. However, we did get the raised beds dug out and put in veggies.

We have tomatoes, cucumbers, pumpkins, zucchini, carrots, assorted herbs and, until recently, peas. Compared to the other veggies (which are growing slowly because of the cool wet summer we've had), the peas did really well.

We did a big harvest on the weekend before pulling up the plants. My aunts and mom came over and we spent an afternoon picking and shelling. We got 8 cups of shelled peas which is pretty amazing!

I'm going to add some compost back into the empty bed and try my hand at fall peas.

I have to say that growing your own food is very satisfying. Especially when it works
Attached Images

fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

If you have flowers, use your poopy fish water and stuff to water them after a change :)

But dont use it on food plants.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

We have one sick looking tomato plant. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #4 
vaygirl

I garden! Mostly I grow herbs and tomatoes. But I also have potted lilac and a Meyers lemon tree and some annual flowers on the deck. I do containers and beds. We don't have a lot of space because it's a condo but I cram in what I can. I'll try and get pics up tomorrow. I'd love to see more pics of your yard!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

We aren't allowed to grow veggies in the ground but we are allowed 2 tomato plants.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #6 
fishcurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
If you have flowers, use your poopy fish water and stuff to water them after a change :)

But dont use it on food plants.
Ooooh, great idea! Normally I just toss it down the drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
We have one sick looking tomato plant.

We aren't allowed to grow veggies in the ground but we are allowed 2 tomato plants.lol
Tomato plants count! My tomatoes are doing poorly, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
I garden! Mostly I grow herbs and tomatoes. But I also have potted lilac and a Meyers lemon tree and some annual flowers on the deck. I do containers and beds. We don't have a lot of space because it's a condo but I cram in what I can. I'll try and get pics up tomorrow. I'd love to see more pics of your yard!
Yay! I was beginning to think no one else gardened in this forum XD

Do you get lemons from the tree? And I'd love to see some pics. I need to get some of my garden, too.
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

My spring/summer garden didn't go so well this year... I'm not sure what happened...maybe it was just too hot? I have planted some pumpkins though so hopefully we will at least get some fall pumpkins...I also have some watermelon plants growing...and a green pepper plant..
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #8 
Romad
TFK Moderator

As a new(ish) homeowner, I'm learning just how difficult this whole gardening thing is. We spent about $500 on perennials and shrubs earlier this year and about 1/3 of them are dead. So I'm in a learning curve this year and hopefully by next year I'll have a better grasp on this.

Hey it took me a while to understand what I needed to know about keeping all of my tanks and fish healthy and I didn't want to learn by trial and error with living things. This trial and error by gardening isn't as stressful so it's OK if it takes me a while.

Last edited by Romad; 08-05-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #9 
vaygirl

I'm in my fifth year I think. Still learning. Like I learned this year that if you don't keep your tomatoes on the deck, deer will come in the night and eat them. I pretty much rely on Miracle Gro. I use it on everything.

My Meyer's flowered but then didn't fruit this year. It's the second year for it. I think next spring I need to repot it in a much bigger pot. I tried to get fruit tree fertilizer sticks but they ended up being for a full grown tree and I couldn't use them.

Variegated and Lemon Thyme, Thai Basil, and Tarragon that the basil choked out.

Some kind of lilac smelly thing, Salvia, and a lilac bush. On the other side of the lilac bush is Bee Balm in a window box.

Lavender, another lilac plant, and basil on the railing. Oregano, another lilac plant, some kind of daisy, and a combo planter of some kind. It's not flowering very well because of lack of sun. My deck is kinda shady now that the oak trees have grown.

Sage and cinnamon basil. The sage has been growing in that basket and coming back for three years now. I get goldfinches landing in it and eating the seeds which is nice.

My Meyers Lemon Tree. It's very pretty, even if I have no lemons from it. It's still a baby. When I got it last year it was two little branches.

Sun Parasol. My husband wanted me to get it to cover the whole gate but I couldn't manage it.

My ground gardening space on one side. On either side of the tomatoes is Pineapple Sage. They'll get about 2 or 3 feet bigger next year so it should fill out more. I'll probably remove the tomatoes next year and put them back on the deck. If I do I'd like to put a couple sunflowers there. There's thai basil again on the left. In front of it is a succulent that sat in a little pot all winter because I forgot about it last year. Then there's a little snowflake ground plant next to it and a Blondi impatien behind it. I'm NOT happy with those.

And this is why I'm not happy with them. They hardly grew at all this season. Granted, I got them in late due to my condo association staining my deck and asking us not to plant but still. I paid a lot of money for them and everything but them is thriving. I'm not sure if they're annuals or perennials though.

And of course, in many pictures, my basset Molly. <3
Old 08-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #10 
vaygirl

Oh, and the creek behind the deck, which is a big reason why I love it here and want to stay despite the lack of my own yard. <3