Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #1 
Creat

Spawning Help Please

So what do you guys do if the male doesn't collect the eggs. My HM pair has been embracing for the past hr... they are the first time breeders though so I am not worried about that its the fact that after this time he doesnt collect the eggs after he squeezes them out of the female, who just ends up eating them. Is this somthing I should worry about? and should I chock this spawn up as a failure?
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Usually the pair doesn't eat all of them. You can either move the eggs and artificially hatch them or leave them in there, and reduce the water level then hope for the best.

The male not tending to his eggs might be due to inexperience or some sort of health issue. You can keep him in there, but IME if he doesn't tend to them from the start, then he probably won't take care of them.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:18 AM   #3 
Creat

thanks Indjo he has a small collection of eggs but startles easy when I walk by (meaning the vibrations send him flipping out) I am trying not to disturb him hopefully he is caring for them.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:08 AM   #4 
Eziekel

yeah, if he doesn't collect the falling eggs, i would just take him out. the eggs will still hatch if they fall to the bottom.
Eziekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #5 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Do you spend a lot of time with the male? I spend about 20 minutes a day with my fish and, they live in the busiest place in the house. We always steal a glance throughout the day too. lol I have wondered if fish that are more "socialized" to noises and people are easier to spawn. Its a theory I am working on

What do you think?
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #6 
Creat

The males I spend the time around the most usually are the ones that are the most afraid to have me around when they have a nest... the ones I am not familiarized with have an easier time.
And he is a decent father they ended up spawning but he sucks at re collecting eggs or fry...
Old 08-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #7 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Wow that's crazy. I will have to keep that in mind. I guess my male is just a really laid back guy. Thanks for the info as I am really interested in finding the best way to condition my new MG male for spawning.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote