Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2011, 11:04 PM   #1 
SassyBetta

Exclamation Obsidians ...constipated? plz help :(

i havnt seen him poo once since iv gotten him and i looked at his belly today and it looks a lil big, iv been feeding him twice a day 1-2 pellets everyday. tank water is fine , no stress, swims around like a lil champ, takes a break once in a while but i would to with a gut thats a lil too big. soooo is there anyway i can make him poo lol or just over all make him feel better . i dont want him to bloat up and get sick :(
SassyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:39 AM   #2 
Indyfishy

Try fasting him for three to four days. No food whatsoever, resist the betta puppy eyes!! If that doesn't work, you can do an epsom salt treatment. 1 tsp per gallon is a good amount =)
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:43 AM   #3 
SassyBetta

dang thats ten spoons then, that seems like a bit much ? idk , :( its oooo hard tho, hes starting to understand that im the one who gives him the food and everything so hes allways swimming up and being all cute when i walk by now lol but ok ill fast him for a few days.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:24 AM   #4 
earthworm88

Haha...I know how difficult it is to resist feeding our adorable puppy face bettas (at least mine are lol)

how long have you had him? and how big is the pellet that you feed to him? 1-2 pellets may not be alot depending on the size of the pellets and him as well. Have you tried frozen daphnia which will help to relieve constipation? Have you got a picture to show his bloated belly?

Let's hope yours will poop soon. I always get excited and praise mine when he gives big giant donut poo and my husband truly thinks I am demented at this point lol
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:11 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

If its a large tank, its easier to do salt treatments in something smaller, like a 1 gallon tank or container
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #6 
GreenTea

I'd suggest a QT tank with Epsom salt, always works like a charm for me! I've also noticed that many of my bettas poop when flaring for an extended period of time at a mirror. I don't know if it's a normal stress response to lose that weight to swim faster or what, but if they're flaring at a mirror, about 1/3 of the time they poop too! Those are my tidbits of advice, as well as maybe getter a better brand or smaller pellet if you are using a larger generic pellet.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #7 
Indyfishy

I very much agree with tikibirds, if your tank is too big then put him in a smaller container that can be floated in the big tank (tape or clip it to the side if it won't float). The epsom salt shouldn't take very long to work on him. If you want to, you could leave him in the epsom salt treatment for a few hours each day, and then let him out for the rest of the day to exercise and hopefully push something out lol!. I also agree with Green Tea, you might have to find a new brand of pellets, or just feed him less of them. How big is your fish?? If he's just a little guy then 2 pellets a day should be enough. Varying his diet with things like freeze dried bloodworms and brine shrimp will also help keep constipation at bay.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #8 
kgs1992

I'd suggest trying to make him flare. Show him the mirror for a minute or so.
That gets them to poop quite easily! :)
Don't do it too often though, you don't wanna stress him out!
kgs1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:31 AM   #9 
SassyBetta

Exclamation

lol ok to catch everyone up , hes not to big and not that small about an average sized betta you get from pets mart. not a baby or anything. ummmm the pellets are literally smaller than a pen tip. i have three pics of his belly a lil blurry but the best i could get this late at night, my mom doesnt think hes bloated or constipated tho so now im second guessing myself . PLZ help :(
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2011, 03:03 AM   #10 
SassyBetta

UPDATE MADE ABOVE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ i have pics now of obsidians belly plz help if you think its bloated or not?