Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #1 
xXbrokencrownXx

Question Moving Suzu....

Hi! SO I am finally moving to my dorm this saturday. Its 45 minutes from home, and I was wondering what was the best way to move my boy Suzu without stressing him out too much. Any imput would be appreciated Thanks!
xXbrokencrownXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #2 
Myates

In a small cup (original from what you had gotten him in) or tupperware container with a lid. If you have a small cooler (styrofoam works) you can place him in with some padding so he doesn't skid around. If it's hot, put a few ice packs in with him, just keep the padding between him and the packs so his water doesn't freeze. Place cooler on floor to help stable it further. Or if you have one of those big cooler type drink containers, or maybe a foam cup from a gas station, can place his cup in one of those. Unsure what the weather is like where you are, or how cool your car will be. Just as long as his cup has a lid and it's dark and won't get too hot. Can toss in a drop of stress coat as well to help.
I haven't moved a fish in years and years, so just trying to come up with some ideas off the top of my head for a single fish.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:17 PM   #3 
xXbrokencrownXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
In a small cup (original from what you had gotten him in) or tupperware container with a lid. If you have a small cooler (styrofoam works) you can place him in with some padding so he doesn't skid around. If it's hot, put a few ice packs in with him, just keep the padding between him and the packs so his water doesn't freeze. Place cooler on floor to help stable it further. Or if you have one of those big cooler type drink containers, or maybe a foam cup from a gas station, can place his cup in one of those. Unsure what the weather is like where you are, or how cool your car will be. Just as long as his cup has a lid and it's dark and won't get too hot. Can toss in a drop of stress coat as well to help.
I haven't moved a fish in years and years, so just trying to come up with some ideas off the top of my head for a single fish.
Ok :) my car wont be taht cold or hot for him, i dont think. thanks for the advice!!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:30 AM   #4 
Kytkattin

Only 45 minutes? Lucky! I have to go 3 hours with my boys and a planted tank. It is going to be dreadful.
If you have Indian almond leaves that would also be a nice addition to the stress coat, also coloring the water to help keep things dark.
Oak leaves and possibly roobios tea work as well.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:32 AM   #5 
xXbrokencrownXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
Only 45 minutes? Lucky! I have to go 3 hours with my boys and a planted tank. It is going to be dreadful.
If you have Indian almond leaves that would also be a nice addition to the stress coat, also coloring the water to help keep things dark.
Oak leaves and possibly roobios tea work as well.
really? where could I get an indian almond leaf?
Old 08-17-2011, 12:50 AM   #6 
Kytkattin

If you do not already have any IALs I doubt you could get them soon enough. Sometimes local fish stores (aka, not Petco/Petsmart/etc) have them, but this is rare. They are apparently as popular with frogs as they are with bettas, so if you have a local reptile shop they might have some.
Your next best bet would be oak leaves. They are also the cheapest option. :)
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:16 AM   #7 
alexlohaus

I transported my betta 4 hours the other day. I put him in his original cup and sat him in my cup holder. Then, I wrapped a towel around the exposed part so it would be dark. I don't know about the ice packs though, last year when trying to move my old betta we put him in a box packed with newspapers by the air conditioning so he wouldn't be too hot, but instead he got too cold and didn't make it. If you're not driving, I would suggest holding the cup so you can keep checking how he's doing. If not, the way I did it worked just fine and my betta is currently swimming healthily all over his tank!
alexlohaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:33 PM   #8 
xXbrokencrownXx

im driving unfortunately, haha. And would I put him in his old cup the day i move, or night before? and Kytkattin, thanks for the adivce! i dont hvae a pet shop like that near me unfortunately :(
Old 08-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #9 
alexlohaus

Okay, that's fine! I put my fish in his cup roughly 24 hours before I left. Since you don't have an extremely long drive he'll be just fine :)
alexlohaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:56 PM   #10 
xXbrokencrownXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlohaus View Post
Okay, that's fine! I put my fish in his cup roughly 24 hours before I left. Since you don't have an extremely long drive he'll be just fine :)
awesome! thats good too hear. :) I've grown attached to my little guy haha.