Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2011, 08:35 AM   #1 
hmckin20

Water Situation

Hi there,
I need help with my water. :( I use regular tap water and Top Fin water conditioner. I've been changing the water about once a day for the past three days, and haven't been leaving any food in the tank. But for some reason, the night after I change the water it gets cloudy. I can't keep it looking clean for some reason

Help?
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:50 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forums....have a few question...

How big is the tank, how long has it been running, stocking, filter, live plants, additives used, water temp.....other than the water changes you have been doing the past few days....what has the water change schedule been...how much and how often...do you have a test kit to provide water pram numbers......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #3 
pens

Probably dissolved minerals in your tapwater precipitating out of solution - organic matter tends to be less 'cloudly' and more 'murky' or 'gross' looking. It's harmless once it settles down, it just leaves ugly residues on your tank but that can be fixed by treatment with a mild acid.

I've had this problem too, but I started to use the coldest tap water possible and my water no longer clouded up after water changes. I'm guessing whatever compound this is (probably a hydroxide of an alkaline metal) gets dissolved more easily at higher temperatures, thus causing more mineral buildup to come out of my tap as ions in their mobile aqueous phase, before precipitating again.

Have you tried using cold water? If that didn't work, then it might be residue dissolving from something you recently added to your tank.
pens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #4 
hmckin20

the tank is 10 gal, and i bought it about two days ago. no live plants, no filter, the only additive used is Top Fin Water Conditioner. Other than the recent water changes, they had a smaller tank of about 2.5gal that I would change every 4-5 days. i usually do 100% water changes. and no, i don't have a test kit.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #5 
hmckin20

oh awesome! i usually use lukewarm water, but i'll try using cold water next time i do a change. i hope it's something harmless like that.

does it make any difference if i heat the water after i put it in?
Old 07-30-2011, 09:05 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Any substrate, if so how deep is it....I would stop making 100% water changes....do 25-50% for now...how are the fish acting in the water any problems with them.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #7 
hmckin20

i have some small gravel stones at the bottom of the tank about three inches deep but uneven. okay, no more 100% changes! well, Flair is fine, he's making bubble nests, eating, and being active, but Pierce has been acting weird, he hasn't been eating and he's hiding under his bridge right now.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:16 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Are both the fish new or have you had them longer than the 10gal....if you have had them longer...what did you keep them in, tank size, how much and how often on the eater changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used....
Old 07-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #9 
hmckin20

I've had them longer than the 10gal. Flair I've had about two weeks, and Pierce a month. I kept them in a smaller tank, though I'm not certain of the gallon, anywhere between 2.5-5gal I guess. 4-5 days water changes, 100%, fed twice daily, no filter, I wasn't sure of the water temp cause I bought the thermometer and heater with the new tank. Same additive as the new tank, no live plants. I had plastic plants in the other one but took them out because I read they could harm betta fins, and Flair has a tiny hole in his back fin.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

With a 10gal tank-I would invest in a filter so you can establish the nitrogen cycle...this will make care easier for both you and the Betta....or add live plants......good that you have substrate this will help things settle better....decrease the water change to 25-50% daily to every other day until the water start to clear and then twice weekly 50% thereafter......

You may need to QT the sick Betta-but if it is loss of appetite and hiding it may be stress from the new tank and he may just need some more time...