Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #1 
harrypotter

Pellet food question

Hey all! I've done a lot of research over the past month since I have gotten my betta but there are so many conflicting reports out there that I'm hoping you guys will be able to help. My betta is currently eating Zoo Med's pellets, it's the only thing he likes to eat. How many I should I be feeding him? I used to feed him 4 a day Monday - Friday and then gave him the weekends to digest but lately I've noticed he's getting a little swollen underneath which makes me paranoid of overfeeding. Any suggestions as to how many he should be getting?
harrypotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:14 PM   #2 
BetterBetta

I feed both my bettas twice a day, 2 pellets a time, one day fasting. So if your only feeding him 4 in total, with two days fasting, you should be fine! If you could, post a picture, after all, he could just be eating properly compared to what the petstore gave him(:
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #3 
betta dude

huh Maybe 4 a day.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 08-25-2011 at 07:48 PM.
betta dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Can you get your guy to eat any other kind? I don't think Zoo Med pellets are very healthy. That could be causing him to get a little larger. If the pellets have a lot of wheat meal/germ, then that's a lot of stuff he's eating but not digesting well. I recommend Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets or New Life Spectrum Betta Formula. If he absolutely refuses to eat any other type of pellet, you may want to consider a diet of all frozen foods just so he's not eating all that wheat meal.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:15 AM   #5 
harrypotter

I noticed somebody saying the first three ingredients should be a form of meat and the second ingredient is wheat... shoot! i'll look into omega one betta buffet pellets, i live in a small town so all my stuff has to be ordered in. thanks for the advice though, i would have never really known otherwise! i really wish i couldn't ordered 2 packs now, i don't even want to resell them if they're unhealthy.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:58 AM   #6 
Sakura8

I can't even find the ingredients for the Zoo Med pellets, what are the ingredients?

I had to order my Omega One pellets on Amazon, they can be hard to find in stores. Best of luck with your guy!
Old 08-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #7 
harrypotter

do they require pre soaking or are they small enough he'll just be able to swallow one at a time?

for ingredients, they are fish meal, wheat flour, squid meal, soybean meal, krill meat, fish oil, shrimp meal, dehydrated beets, garlic powder and then a lot of chemical sounding words, lol

crude protein is 40%, crude fat is 8%, crude fiber is 3%, moisture is 10%, ash is 12%, and phosphorus is 1%
Old 08-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Protein is high but I dunno, fish meal could be anything. Omega One ingredients (partial list): whole salmon, halibut, shrimp, wheat flour, wheat gluten, fresh kelp and then the chemically sounding words. Protein 42%, crude fat 5%, crude fiber 2%, moisture 8.5%, ash 8%, phosphorous .5%

For the Omega One pellets, they might need presoaking, at least until he gets used to the size. You can also crush them with your fingernail to make them smaller.