Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2011, 12:20 AM   #1 
Jackjone

Unhappy Please help!!!!!

Kay so i recently just purchased my first beta ever. Recently went to college and decided to get a beta and in 48 hours I'm hooked on em. Sephiroth (my beta), has lived in my dorm for about 48 hours. yesterday he was fine and swimming around and ate his food. today he wasn't as energetic. later this night around feeding time he didn't eat and when i returned to my dorm he was kind of floating at the top of his tank, still breathing. He had white cottony/slimy stuff on his body. Currently lives in I believe a .5 gallon tank (gf used for her beta which lived 2.5 years), using Start Right conditioner, and TetraMin tropical flakes as food. Both which gf have given me (altho she hasn't used the conditioner in a while and no idea how long conditions last b4 they go bad). 2morrow going to buy a gallon tank as well as some new conditioner and food. hopefully someone posts something b4 i go so i have some idea of what to get and how to treat Sephiroth.... firsst beta and i love him dearly :(
Jackjone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:09 AM   #2 
audjree

does this describe it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
Body Slime Infection
•Symptoms: Your betta is covered in a white film. It may just be in a few areas and may rise of the skin a bit. Lethargy, clamped, loss of apetite, may have cloudy eyes.
•Treatment: Body Slime infections or Slime Coat Sloughing are due to bacterial infections. Perform daily 100% water changes. Use 1tsp/gal Aq.Salt for up to 10 days. If that does not work then use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Jungle’s Lifeguard.
or maybe this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
True Fungal Infections
•Symptoms: White cottony like patches on its body or head, Lethargic, Not eating, Clamped Fins, Pale Colors
•Treatment: Conservative: Lower temperature below 76* F and treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Never continue salt treatments for more than 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective after 10 days or you see the fungus spread rapidly during the course of conservative treatment, move to medication. Add “Fungus Eliminator” by Jungle, API Erythromycin, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn II. Change water every day and add a new dose of the same medication. Continue until all fungus has disappeared.

i'm glad you're trying to invest in a bigger home for him, and better conditioner and food. also, make sure he always has some warm, clean water (best to be about 76-82* F.)

btw, i love his name! i hope he gets better. (:

Last edited by audjree; 08-19-2011 at 01:12 AM.
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:21 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Hi Jackjone and welcome to the forum. What kind of conditions was the betta in at the pet store? For example, was the water in his cup really dirty? And did you change the water in his .5 gallon home during the 48 hours you've had him? Do you think it is the water conditioner that has made him sick?

A gallon is fine as long as you do frequent water changes; with a gallon tank, you will want to change all of the water every other day. If you can, I'd actually suggest a 2 gallon tank just because you can get a heater for it that will keep the water warm, as audjree said. If you can find a heater for a 1 gallon, that's great.

When you head off to the pet store, I recommend getting Seachem Prime for your water conditioner. It is a good conditioner to use when you have a small tank. Also try and pick up a kit that tests ammonia levels, this will help you keep an eye on things so you can make sure Sephiroth stays healthy.

I hope Sephiroth pulls through the night. Keep us posted.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #4 
Jackjone

Sad news... he didn't make it :'( ... but i shall not give up. Will use your guys info as well as others on the forum to make sure my next one survives. Deffenitly gonna get a heater for my next one it because JUST found out my room avergages around 69*F. As for the conditioner both me and my gf think that's a possibility it may have killed it since its been a while sine its been used so it may have gone bad (if thats possible). Thank you all for all your help. Any idea of what kind of tank i should get. Remember i live in a small dorm and only room to put it is a small drawer. Thankss.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Jackjone, I'm so sorry to hear he didn't make it. :( I think there's a distinct possibility the conditioner could have killed him, along with being cold (lowers his ability to fight off infections). If you look on the bottle, usually on the bottom, you might find an expiration date.

Good tanks to look at are the Aqueon Minibow 2.5
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3611436
Petco 2.5 Desktop Aquarium
http://www.petco.com/product/113978/...-Aquarium.aspx
Petco Pet Keeper (sizes Medium and up)
http://www.petco.com/product/12031/P...rium-Fish.aspx
Old 08-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #6 
Jackjone

unfortunatly i'lll prolly have to go with the Pet Keeper since money is very tight. and those heaters are expensive :/
Old 08-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Nothing wrong with Pet Keepers. A lot of us keep our bettas in heated Pet Keepers/kritter keepers. And filters are optional in small tanks so no worries if you don't have one; none of my tanks under 10g are filtered. I actually have one of my bettas in the medium Pet Keeper and he does fine. Water changes in the medium/large pet keepers would be 1 50% and 1 100% a week (or close to 100%). And yes, heaters ARE expensive unfortunately. If you can, try to get a heater that is adjustable - I've heard horror stories about the heaters that are preset at 78 degrees.

Also, for your water conditioner, do try to get Seachem Prime. I think I said that once before but I'll just repeat it again. It's a great water conditioner. You can get a very small bottle for not much and it will last for a long time because it's super concentrated. You only need to add about 3-4 drops per water change.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #8 
Jackjone

GF just said she has a gallon tank! which will save me money on getting a good heater! Any ideas of what kind? plus the only pet store near by is a a family owned fished store and Petco in case you send links to some items.... altho wud be two weeks until she comes dwn and who knows if she'll remember the tank lol if she doesn't i'll just go with the large pet keeper.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #9 
audjree

aw, i'm sorry to hear that. ): don't give up, sometimes these things just happen.

i agree with Sakura8 about the seachem prime water conditioner, i use it, plus it will last a long time. (:

i've heard this heater is pretty good:
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi...1897674&sr=8-1

i'm not sure if it will fit in a 1 gallon, but you could check the measurements and see. in the reviews, people say it fits in a 1.5 gallon, so maybe you can try to find a 1.5 gal tank? it's hard to find a good heater for that size where you can also adjust the temperature setting, but you can try to look on petco's website and other sites.

for food, it's best to feed betta pellets, new life spectrum, aqueon, etc. it's also recommended to feed them a variety of foods, so along with pellets, you can buy some frozen bloodworms, if you can keep them frozen.

keep trying, i hope your next betta lives a long, happy, healthy life. (:
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #10 
Sakura8

This heater is also supposed to be good. It's not adjustable but it seems to have a better reliability than other heaters of its kind.
http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-HEATER-A.../dp/B0006JLPFE
I have the 15w version that I picked up at Petco but I haven't used it yet.