Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #11 
Estragon

Unhappy

Ok,

well that's scary.

I checked with the water department, the PH is within their standard range, as is the ammonia (they don't keep track of Nitrites and it was 0 in my reading anyway). The Nitrates were way higher than the standard the water department gave me. According to them it should be between .6ppm and 1.1pmm. My reading showed 5pmm, so perhaps I need to shake and bang that #2 bottle even more than I did.

When you say follow the directions to a "t" do you mean shake the vile no more and no less than 1 minute? I followed the instructions pretty carefully, but I probably did shake the vile for an extra 5 seconds or so. I will retest, especially since my number is so far off what the water department says it should be. Did you want me to retest just my aquarium or my source water as well?

Betta Behavior: He is basically still swimming around like he always has, generally if I'm in the room he swims back and forth at the front of the tank. When I leave he is often hanging out in the back where most of the plants are, but immediately comes forward when he sees me come back in the room (sometimes he is still swimming in the front of the tank, sometimes he's not. Generally the later in the evening it is, the more likely he is to go off into the plants. If I put a mirror in front of him he flares like normal, he seems to breath ok, and does go to the top of the tank to breath at the surface as well. I have not seen him chasing his tail today, but he was doing that yesterday and the day before. When I fed him this morning he ate his food with gusto.

Thank you so much for all your help OFL, I just made it to campus to drop off some paperwork, but I'll run to the LFS on my way home and buy some Prime, and test my water as soon as I'm home.

Many Many Thanks
Estragon
Estragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

Its a good sign that he is otherwise acting his normal self other than the fin issue.....often the best water tester is us...the hobbyist by the power of observation since so may things can vary.......

Good that you are getting the Prime-

Let your tap run for a second or two before you collect it for the tank to clear the pipes

Once you get it-make a 50% water only change and Dose it for the full volume of the tank...don't add anything else (chemicals) to the tank other than the Prime.......watch him (as I know you will...lol..) and any behavior changes make another 50% with the Prime......set your test kit aside for a day.....and test again after 24h......

You say plants....are these real or fake.....if live, what species and how many......

Keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #13 
Estragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Its a good sign that he is otherwise acting his normal self other than the fin issue.....often the best water tester is us...the hobbyist by the power of observation since so may things can vary.......

Good that you are getting the Prime-

Let your tap run for a second or two before you collect it for the tank to clear the pipes

Once you get it-make a 50% water only change and Dose it for the full volume of the tank...don't add anything else (chemicals) to the tank other than the Prime.......watch him (as I know you will...lol..) and any behavior changes make another 50% with the Prime......set your test kit aside for a day.....and test again after 24h......

You say plants....are these real or fake.....if live, what species and how many......

Keep us posted.....
OFl,

I got home and retested before I read this post. I followed the directions as closely as humanly possible, and took each vile outside in the most natural light possible to read the results ( I looked at them in both direct sunlight and in some more shady areas (that are still bright)). My results did vary. Here's the new:

PH: 8
Ammonia: 1.0 ppm
Nitrite: 5.0 ppm
Nitrate: 10.0 ppm

Still really high Nitrites, and higher than last time nitrates. I will do the 50% water chagne with the prime right away.

All my plants are fake silk plants. I have 4 of them.

Again thank you for all the help!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #14 
Estragon

Test after 24 hours with prime

Hey guys,

Here are my test results after 24 hours with prime.

PH: 8
Ammonia: 0.5-1.0ppm (probably closer to 1.0)
Nitrite: 2.0-5.0 ppm (probably close to (2.0)
Nitrate: 5.0ppm

I'm assuming this means I need to keep doing daily 50% water changes with prime? Or should I go down to 2 a week as OFL suggested much earlier in this thread?

As always many thanks for all your knowledge, support, and generosity.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

How is the Betta acting....okay???.....the nitrite is what has me worried more than the other results-although ammonia 1ppm is not great-I suspect that is ammonium not ammonia since you are using Prime....nitrite 2ppm even with labyrinth fish can be deadly-it binds with the blood and limits oxygen transport...usually the fish can be seen struggling to breath, gasping at the surface, gills will look brown (healthy gills are red) etc.....however, this may be due to the cycle product you added and its a skewed reading-but you also have ammonia and nitrate in the source water to start........

Can you take some tank water to the pet shop to be tested to make sure its not the new test kit....especially if it got really hot due to the weather or something.......

If he is acting okay....I would do the twice weekly 50%......watch him closely (as I know you will..lol...) and monitor the fins for secondary infection, however, by the sound of it he is most likely a tail biter......you may need to move him temporary to a 1gal tank without a filter and start aquarium salt 1tsp/gal, tannins, daily water change treatment for 10 days and inclined to say start that anyway but more due to the nitrite reading and higher dose of salt 2tsp/gal for safety sake......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 08-19-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote