Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2011, 02:24 AM   #1 
brikwong94

Betta Pair

Okay, I'm sure someone has posted something similar to this before, but I just created an account and I really need some guidance.

I have a tank at around 12 gallons that is filled at about 5-8 gallons right now. There is definitely enough and not too much room for the betta pair that is inside already.

I have a dual colored male (Dark Blue and Red) and a Dual colored female (Transparent Orange with violet fins)

The tank has just a little bit of tea from a teabag for tannins and a leaf. It is kept at around 78 degrees and is quite stable in temperature. There are plenty rock crevices for the female to hide.

I introduced the female in a glass chimney. The usual signs of courtship occurred. The male started building a bubble nest before i went to sleep last night.

I woke up this morning to find that my male has already built a decent bubble nest under the leaf and i headed out to new york for the rest of the day before coming back.

Upon my return, the male had already built a GARGANTUAN bubblenest under the leaf and is actually raising the leaf out of the water. He was and still is continuing to build. I thought this was a good sign so i released the female into the water.

The male flared, chased, and nipped her of course. I know that this is normal behavior.

However, its been over four hours already, I know both the bettas are eager to mate because you can just tell from their body language. However, whenever the female approaches the bubblenest submissively, the male would flare at her. Before he even gets close to her, she darts all over the tank in fear and he chases her in aggression. The male will quickly leave her alone and after a period of time, she will come out of hiding and the same thing would repeat over and over again.

what's going on? what should i do? is this normal? please help me.
brikwong94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:57 AM   #2 
brikwong94

UPDATE. The fin directly under the belly of the female betta is torn badly. I don't think she is in critical condition but i put her back in the chimney, please help.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:11 AM   #3 
youlovegnats

I think you need to give that female a break and try again later. Your temp. should be at around 82 instead of 78.
Did you condition them properly?
What foods did you feed and what kind of tanks (how many gallons) were they in? Were they heated? To what temp.?
How long did you condition?
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:17 AM   #4 
brikwong94

yeah, she has a couple rips in her lower fin but i thought it had fallen off when she actually just tucked it in.

I'll have to buy a 2nd heater then if i have to keep it at 82. I fed them flakes and some frozen brine shrimp and conditioned them for about 2 weeks. The female is "fat" with eggs and the male has a huge bubble-nest already. They were each in 3 1/2 gallon tanks before they were introduced to the mating tank. They were about the same temperature the water is now, around 78 degrees.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:26 AM   #5 
youlovegnats

Just get a heater that allows you to manually adjust the heat- which you need for healthy fry. If it gets too hot or too cold, you can always adjust it. :)
Hmmm, next time don't feed flakes. Flakes can make bettas bloat. Use pellets instead. And for conditioning- live food is always better. It's really easy right now to get mosquito larvae - just put a bucket outside with shallow water and BAM, instant food :P.
Let her rest for the night and see if they aren't interested in the morning. Is she showing signs? Bars, flirty (s-shape) swimming, clamped fins, head tucked down?
Old 08-17-2011, 03:51 AM   #6 
brikwong94

she's been well conditioned for a long time, longer than the male. She is very light colored so you can't see the bars. She does do flirtly swimming, she swims submissively too (head down, and slow. I'm not sure if she's just overreacting in fear to the male because most of the time the male is just approaching her without the intention to bite. She just swims without direction immediately when he's nearby or flaring.

is it normal for the male to try and nip her through the chimney?

sorry for all the questions, i really do appreciate your help A LOT.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #7 
youlovegnats

:)

Yeah, nipping is normal. He'll try to get at her because he's frustrated.
I guess, keep them in there together a bit longer- but keep an eye out! If the nipping gets too rough, try again later.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #8 
brikwong94

thanks.

the female actually came out more often periodically and the male would get closer to her than ever. instead of darting away, she just swims around in the S-shaped manner flirtatiously. the bubblenest is on the opposite side of the tank. The male tries to coax her into following him but she'll never get farther than the mid-tank mark.

what does that mean?
Old 08-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #9 
youlovegnats

Try sectioning off a portion of the tank and see if that helps.
She should def. be trying to find the nest based on her body language.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #10 
brikwong94

thanks so much for the help, i'll post again in a few hours and see if things got any better