Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2011, 06:51 AM   #1 
beckyb

Red face betta isn't energetic anymore?

hiya,
i've had my betta for about 5/6 months now, with a congo frog and zebra nerite snail in a 6 gallon tank. the tank is heated, at 25 degrees, but not filtered. anyway, he used to move around almost constantly, and used to stay at the top of the tank and eat all his pellets. recently, however he's not eating anything, he looks fine, but he's not swimming around much anymore. he's still coming up for air, and for a little while he didn't flare, but now he does again. is there a problem? what can i do?
thanks in advance.
beckyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum......we need some more information...

On the 6gal unfiltered tank with the frog, snail with the Betta-how much and how often are the water changes, additives used, live plants, has he ever been sick and/or treated, if so, explain...can you post pics.....and any other symptoms besides the lack of appetite and being lethargic.....any changes in the frog or snail and what is the feeding for them.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:33 AM   #3 
beckyb

thanks, but it doesn't matter, he died. :(
beckyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #4 
SnowySurface

I'm sorry to hear about your lose. :(

Your tank may have been over loaded since it didn't have a filter. I've heard that snails can be a bit messy and increase the bioload of most filters more than owners expect. In an unfiltered tank, I would only put 1 snail and 1 betta or 1 snail and 1 frog in a tank that small. I think you would need a 10 gallon for a betta/frog/snail combo for everyone to be healthy.

I figured I would give a few suggestions just in case you wanted to try again. :)
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Becky, I'm so sorry for your loss.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote