Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #1 
freeflow246

Oh gosh. I'm so worried.

This morning I set out new water for my betta and added dechlorinator, and was going to let it sit until I got home from work around 8. However, some of my perfume got into the water when I spritzed it on, so I dumped it out and (I thought) added water conditioner to the new water.
So today I get home from work, take a shower, relax a bit, and add my betta to the new water. He usually freaks a bit when his water is changed, but I paid him no mind. Then I looked over, and his fin tips were bloody, he was gasping for breath, trying to dig under his pebbles, and when he struggled up for air he just sorta let himself float on his side. A few times he just dropped down to the bottom, nose up. I realized that, since I had been in a hurry and have ADD, I might not have dechlorinated the water like I thought. I quickly grabbed a half-gallon container, added stress coat, methanol blue, and tried to get the water as close to room temp as I could before adding him. He seems better now, just freaked out. He's sticking to the bottom, but is able to right himself if he tips. He's coming up for air and his eyes follow me when I move, but he's still breathing so hard it shakes his body.
Jalen was in his tank for about 15 minutes. Is my baby going to be all right?
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:39 AM   #2 
Sakura8

:( Even forgetting to dechlorinate the water shouldn't have caused his fins to bloody like that. This sounds like an extreme reaction to something Are you sure there weren't traces of perfume left over in the bucket? Or is your tap water really, really bad? :/ I haven't encountered this severe of a reaction before from just forgetting dechlorinator but I suppose it's definitely possible if your tap water is really bad. You did the right thing by getting him out as soon as possible, and by getting the water to the right temp, too.

First, lower the water level so it's easy for Jalen to make it to the surface to breathe. Next, keep him as warm as possible and keep his tank in a dim and quiet room. It sounds like he is very, very shocked. If that is all that happened, I am hoping he will calm down and his breathing will relax. Also, you might want to stop the methanol blue because I'm not sure how much it will help. I think what he needs most is clean, pure water. But it's your call since you're the one right there. If you feel he needs it, by all means, continue.

After he has had some time to calm down, you can try offering food to see if he'll eat. If he will, that's always an encouraging sign.

I hope this helps, please keep us posted and I hope Jalen gets better quickly.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #3 
freeflow246

Thanks for replying! He's perfectly fine now. Every once in a while he'll 'cough' again, but I think that it's just leftover irritation.
I added methanol blue because I heard that it can help with poisoning, and we have some weird stuff in our water, so I thought it couldn't hurt. I also put a little plant in there so that he could reach the surface easier, but he didn't seem to use it much. He definitely got much better within an hour, and I left him in my bathroom so that no one would bother him. This morning he was perfectly fine. I put him back in his tank (with new water), and he didn't even react as much as he usually does.
I don't think that any of my perfume could have been left in there, but I do know that there's something different about our tap water. We have something added so that it doesn't leave streaks when it dries on my parents' glass shower door, but I have no idea what we've added or taken away. I know that we can drink it, but I should probably get a water testing kit somewhere and see what's so whack with my water. He did have mild fin rot (and I think still does), so maybe the tips looked so bad because they were open wounds?
My goodness, he had me scared. I kept hovering over his half-gallon bowl and praying and wondering how I could really be this upset over a fish I got for $7 at a pet store. And even in his illness, he tried to beg for food a few times. What a little pig.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #4 
Sakura8

I'm soooo glad he's okay. But goodness, you really must have funky tap water to cause a reaction like that, I've never heard of that. Thanks for the info on methanol blue, I didn't know it helped with poisoning.

And what a funny guy to beg for food even when he can barely breathe. It goes to show these bettas of ours live to eat.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #5 
freeflow246

Yea I'm glad my little boy's okay. He's grown on me quite a bit. :)
Old 08-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Haha, they do that. They're such wonderful fish.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:05 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Isn't it Methylene blue?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:33 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Erp, you're right. I hope so, not sure how good methanol is for fish . . .
Old 08-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #9 
freeflow246

Yea, that's what it is. Sorry, I mixed them up lol. XD
Old 08-15-2011, 12:35 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Phew! How is he doing?