Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #1 
BettaFreakMink

Question Pop Eye and Fin problems?

Ok, so...I've had this betta for about...a month and a half. Got it from petco. When I first got him he was a normal looking black to blue halfmoon with a slightly iridescent white fringe around all of his fins. However he didn't eat...he didn't eat for nearly 2 weeks. In this time I noticed small things happening. Like is eyes started to look rather...large, then protruded. Then the 'white' in his fins started to go clear...and now his eyes are REALLY protruding, as is his forehead, and the clear part of his fins has seemed to spread inward (moreso on the very top fin than other other fin). He has been eating, rather well actually, and has a normal activity level for a halfmoon. He shows interest in things outside of his tank, isn't very aggressive when he sees other males (has one right next to him in another tank), and is otherwise ok. I've been told that he has pop eye by a fish expert friend of mine, and she said I could treat him, but since he's 'just a betta' that it's not really worth it.

Now, another betta that I have is also a halfmoon. I got this one from Petsmart. He is very active and very aggressive and has the appetite of a lion! The only thing that's at all 'off' about him is his fins. He has a black body with a nice rich green shine to it, and his fins are bright red with a black fringe. When I got him his fins were 'whole'. He's never been in a tank with ANY other fish but a few days after I got him home I noticed that his fins started to sort of...split...or fray. Now all of his fins are like this AND have a rather 'nice' ruffling to them. I'm not sure of his breeding since he's just a pet store fish, but with some of the online research I did it looks like he might have a 'rosette' gene or possibly one of the fish in his family tree was a crown tail and he was just too young in the pet store (or too unhealthy for proper growth) for those signs to show up. I'm also afraid that this might not be the case as the same 'fish expert' friend told me that it's another type of disease not worth treating....

In all honesty these are some of my first fish in my hopefully long life of fish keeping, so I might just be over reacting to some degree...but...I'm just not sure.

Some insight on care. Each one is in a 1 gallon bowl with a heat light on them (will be getting individual heaters come fall but right now it's so hot outside that even without a heater the water stays at a temp just below or just at 80 degrees). There is gravel and a fake plant in each and they get a mixture of a specialized betta pellet, which I remove any uneaten bits from the water, as well as frozen blood worms, witch are fed the day before and sometimes the day of but just before their weekly water change. I use 2-3 drops of prime to regular tap water each water change. They also get fed a little bit multiple times a day. If for any reason the water looks cloudy or the gravel appears too dirty, I do extra water changes following the same routine.

So, now that you have all THAT information, please help answer what is actually wrong with my fish, and if it is fixable.

If you have any other questions I'll be happy to answer them. I don't really have very good pictures of them as they both seem rather camera shy, but can try and get some pictures...if they let me x.x
BettaFreakMink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #2 
Myates

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73333
Popeye
•Symptoms: One or both eyes will swell and bulge out. It in itself can also be a symptom of Dropsy.
•Treatment: Usually not fatal if treated, but your betta might lose an eye. Conservative: If the swelling is extreme then use ES (Epsom Salt) first. Perform 100% daily water changes. You may be able to treat the popeye with just Epsom and clean water. However, if the swelling goes down but the eyes remain cloudy/white, then switch to Aq.Salt at 1tsp/gal or use medications. Do not combine Aq.Salt with medications but you can continue to use ES during medical treatments. Medication: If ES or Aq.Salt do not do the trick or it is a serious case of popeye, then combine the ES with API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API General Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn.

The other disease your "expert friend" may be talking about with your second betta is fin rot, and that can/will kill your fish in time. Can't be sure without pics, but black edges are a sign. Either that or he's just nibbling his own fins, which some do.

Here is something that is helpful when requesting help. Makes it easier to diagnose or make suggestions on prevention. Sorry, I know you went through the trouble of typing all that out. It's a sticky on top of this section if you need reference.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

And yes, a betta is worth it lol.

Last edited by Myates; 08-17-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #3 
BettaFreakMink

Hmmmm...Very well might be pop eye then...What about the clarifying of his fins though?

As for the one with black fringe, I THINK that's just part of his coloring because he's always had that, and it's not grown or receded since I've owned him (about a month now). And the 'tattering' of his fins is way too...even. I'll try and get some pics and follow the directions of salting. Also, I don't have ES readily available but DO have AS available right now. Can I start with AS and see where that goes, or should I go straight to ES (which will take a few days before I can get to the store)
Old 08-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #4 
Myates

If it's his normal coloring then it's probably just him biting his tail. I want to say do a 10 day 1tbs/10g AQ salt treatment, but since unsure if it's fin rot, rather not put him through that. (using AQ salt when not needed on a regular basis can do harm) I would do a water change and add in stress coat if you have any on hand, that keeps them calm and good for fin growth. At least until it is determined what he has, if anything.
The fins on the first one.. I kinda want to think fin melt, but I can't be sure, nor can really tell you what to do for it since I'm sort of trying to figure that out myself with one of my fellas.
I would go ahead and do the 1tbs per 10g AQ salt on the pop eye until you can get some ES (which you can pick up at walgreens, etc since it is a human product). Do daily 100% water changes while doing the salt treatment until you get the ES, and follow what is listed on my previous post on how to treat it. Just make sure to dissolve the salt prior to putting it in his tank, otherwise it can burn him.
I hope they get better soon :( If you need real expert advice, talk to Oldfishlady, she is one of the go-to experts here.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #5 
BettaFreakMink

Ummm...how do I break down 1tb of salt to 10 gallons of water without something to put 10 gallons in? x.x

I have 1 gallon juggs and a 5 gallon tank (with a filter) But my Giant Plakat is in there and I think he's a bit too big for a 1 gallon bowl o.o
Old 08-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #6 
Myates

Hmm ok my jungle AQ salt is 1 tbs per 10g.. let me do some looking up on the forums here to see if I can get a correct measurement.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #7 
Myates

Aha! 1 teaspoon per gallon :)
Just fill up the clean water jug (use what was a water jug previous, make sure there is/was no soap in it) and add in the 1 teaspoon of AQ salt and mix thoroughly. And keep it at room temp, use it when you do your water changes. Or just mix it in a cup, dissolve and pour into the bowl.

Last edited by Myates; 08-17-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:28 AM   #8 
BettaFreakMink

Great! Thanks a bunch!

And I should do this daily correct? Is this a 10 day cycle like some of the other things I've seen posted in the forums? Or should I do it till he gets better?