Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #1 
betta fish crazy

Is it a save? A purchase? Or something else?

So I see a whole lot of people on here saying they "rescued" a fish from a pet store. Then others will say "that's not rescue, it's a purchase." So what do you guys think a better term is for it? Should people say they "purchased their betta from a pet store" and leave it at that? Or can they say they "saved their betta from a pet store?" Or is their an even better/more correct way to say it?
betta fish crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #2 
CoverMeInClay

I can see the argument for saying rescue and againts it. I personally feel that saying you saved them is fine. Some of these fish, if they are purchased or not are being saved from death. When people say rescue, unless they bargain to get the fish at no cost, I can understand being looked upon negatively. If the store profits it's not a rescue and all that. I do think there are exceptions to this, but some people do not. It's all rather hit or miss.
CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #3 
CottonSpider

I say saved rather than rescued. I saved two betta males that were in their cups on their sides and had already turned pale. I payed to rescue them from death but since people are particular about the use of the word, I don't say it. Neither died and both are enjoying their little fishy lives so I don't think they care what word we use.
CottonSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #4 
Luimeril

if you buy a neglected betta, you saved it. rescuing it, would be getting it without paying. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

^ Agreed.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #6 
dragonflie

Honestly it is all a question of semantics. And while I'm not trying to sound harsh, it's rather nitpicky to be trying to tell people what words to use in their sentences.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

^ Also agreed, lolol
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #8 
hannah16

In my opinion, I think when the fish is close to death is when you can save saved unless you got it without paying. Then it is a rescue. But if someone says rescue and paid like $5 then I think they should say saved...
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #9 
Smr2892

Personally, I think "rescued" is just fine. I used to think the opposite way. I used to think that it was just a purchase because the petstore is just going to buy another fish to take that one's place. But now I see it as "even if the fish isn't purchased and dies, the store is still going to replace it". So, the poor things can die in their horrid cups, and be replaced, or you can "rescue" them from almost certain death, but they'll still be replaced. The first scenario is a lose-lose, the second a win-lose. At least one less fishy dies in the second, no matter what you choose to call it. Either way doesn't bother me, though.
Smr2892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #10 
Luimeril

surprisingly, only Remy was a save. >3> Pet Lovers takes amazing care of their bettas(most of the time. depends on who's working, as to how much care they get), so i don't have to save or rescue anyone.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote