Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #11 
Abby

Obtained.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #12 
harrypotter

I think as long as a fish is going to a good home where they'll be treated right, it doesn't really matter which word is used.
harrypotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

I agree with ya harrypotter...get that magic wand out and wave it...laffs....

Seems like an awful lot of arguing over a word-not so much this thread as others on the same subject......what does it matter......I say we ask the Betta....do you feel saved or rescued......Both...they don't care what you paid or if you got them for free....what matters to that Betta is that you brought him/her home and are going to take good care of them......

You can't save/rescue them all....it only matter to that one Betta you do save/rescue.......what does it matter what you call it......

A new member, can't recall the name...stated it nicely in a different thread not long ago (that work with the coast guard I believe) with a great definition of rescue.......

And 1fish2fish in a different thread and dragonflies in this one....semantics......

What does it matter...why hurt someones feelings over a word when they are trying to do the right thing......

Just my- dollar two ninety eight plus tax.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #14 
CoverMeInClay

^ +1 ofl
CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

Technically if money exchanged hands it's a purchase. However, I think of it more now as an upgrade. I have upgraded several bettas from my LFS where the conditions were sub-par at best. One I meant to go back for actually died before I could.

However, it's not a rescue. I paid money in exchange for my bettas and even though they were discounted I still consider them a purchase.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #16 
Leeniex

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypotter View Post
I think as long as a fish is going to a good home where they'll be treated right, it doesn't really matter which word is used.

I agree with the wizard.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #17 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I agree with ya harrypotter...get that magic wand out and wave it...laffs....

Seems like an awful lot of arguing over a word-not so much this thread as others on the same subject......what does it matter......I say we ask the Betta....do you feel saved or rescued......Both...they don't care what you paid or if you got them for free....what matters to that Betta is that you brought him/her home and are going to take good care of them......

You can't save/rescue them all....it only matter to that one Betta you do save/rescue.......what does it matter what you call it......

A new member, can't recall the name...stated it nicely in a different thread not long ago (that work with the coast guard I believe) with a great definition of rescue.......

And 1fish2fish in a different thread and dragonflies in this one....semantics......

What does it matter...why hurt someones feelings over a word when they are trying to do the right thing......

Just my- dollar two ninety eight plus tax.....
Agreed. It doesnt matter what you call it.

In the end, you have a new fish that you're going to (hopefully) care for as best you can.

Rescue, purchase, obtained...stolen, bah. It's a fish.

And now, it's yours.

Thats all that matters.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #18 
bahamut285

To be honest, I agree with HarryPotter.

In the end though, I don't see why people care about this so much. So what if you purchased it, so what if you rescued/saved/adopted it?

I mean...What you want? Some gold star on your report card of life because you "SAVED/RESCUED IT FROM THE TORTUROUS STORE OMGOMG". Please. If you need that kind of "encouragement" to make you feel like a good person or something, then you need to find another outlet.

I agree, it makes you feel good about yourself. For example I rescued Mali from Petsmart because I got him for free after yelling at the managed as to his sliced off tail. BUT. You don't see me parading around the forum going: OMG GUYS MY RESCUE I'M SO AWESOME.

Feel free to go around being all: "RESCUE ALL THE THINGS!"

But just remember that:

Real heroes are never made public.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

It doesn't matter to me what word is used, either. I think it's rather nitpicky to argue over a word.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #20 
LittleBettas

The definition of rescue:
Verb: Save (someone) from a dangerous or distressing situation.
Noun: An act of saving or being saved from danger or distress

Rescuing a betta (or any other animal that otherwise would have died) is rescue, regardless of whether you paid for him/her.
The only problem with paying for a betta that you have "rescued" is that it supports the abuse these lttle guys suffer at petstores.
However, even if you buy a healthy betta, you are supporting this.
And leaving a sick/dieing betta there does not make the store loose money, they are compensated for that lost normally

If you find a betta in a bad situation at a petstore, the best option is to find a manager and ask that you get a discount, if you are calm and polite, explain what is wrong with the fish and how it is going to cost you a lot to save himher (never hurts to mention you will have to buy a lot of stuff from said place to save him/her) the manager is almost ALWAYS willing to give you a discount or even a free fish

*I got my fish Hercules for free after he was placed in another bettas cup, he was torn up really bad
*I got Finn (a CT betta) for the price of a VT, he has NO fins left, so not the best deal, I really shoul have gotten him for free but I wasnt in the mood for arguing since I wanted to get him home
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote