Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #1 
Schwannsee

Weird white spots

Hi all! Fluffy continues to be gorgeous and happy. His otos are also fat & sassy. I've been playing jr. chemist and managing the water levels. I have a bizarre new issue though!

10 Gallon tank, heated to ~80 degrees, filtered with sponge baffle and nylon over intake. Cycled and running for almost 90 days now.

Live plants: Sword, anacharis, anubias, java fern. Sword & Anacharis just taking off and doing well, anubias and java fern are slower-growing.

Substrate-coarse sand/fine gravelly stuff.

Chemistry has been normal, water changes have been kept up, about 1X week 30%.

Water is tap water, treated with Prime, and a dose of Flourish added 1X a week.

Nothing new has been added to the tank as far as plant/fish life in 2 months. Fish mostly acting normal, though Fluffy the betta is plumper than usual and I have held off feeding him till he looks less fat.

Suddenly, this week, I begin to see strange white spots on the glass, then the plants. Yesterday I scrubbed them all off the front glass, today they are back! They are raised, and feel like little sand grains.

Examining the small white spots today, in between them I notice life that I never purchased or wanted in this tank....2 very very very small snails.

If those white spots are snail babies I am about to be flooded in them. What do I do?
Schwannsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

Pictures? Are the white dots actually snails or the eggs? The eggs look like a clear gel with white dots in it..I usually squish those when I see them during water changes...But I always have a small controlled number of snails in my tank.Your betta may be a little plump from munching on free food.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #3 
Schwannsee

It's not letting me upload to an album today for some reason. The dots are hard, dome-shaped, and adhered to glass & plants equally. They look like little bubbles, but are stuck to the inside where the water line doesn't get down to. The snails are ittttttty bitty, but I confirmed 3 large enough to see.

I was photo-bombed 6 times trying to capture the dots & snail, as Fluffers feels that HE is the star of this show.
Schwannsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #4 
JKfish

In my opinion, they are probably new born baby snails. The ones that my tank has are translucent. However, I have heard from a member online that if you take half of a raw peeled potatoe and float it in the tank overnight, it will kill almost all the snails, but it will not harm you other fish. You're going to want to do a water change afterwards. I'm yet to try this method, but it apparently worked for the other member just fine. :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
In my opinion, they are probably new born baby snails. The ones that my tank has are translucent. However, I have heard from a member online that if you take half of a raw peeled potatoe and float it in the tank overnight, it will kill almost all the snails, but it will not harm you other fish. You're going to want to do a water change afterwards. I'm yet to try this method, but it apparently worked for the other member just fine. :)
potato?
0_o
Old 08-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

It does work, yes ;)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

Any kind of potato?
Old 08-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

I'd stick to a white potato, not fancy purple or blue ones, but yep!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:54 PM   #9 
Draug Isilme

xD I just got a new plant and I'm kinda worried about a snail outbreak! I tried washing it and stuff before hand and checked to see if I could notice anything noticeable, which I didn't.. buuuut seeing as how I haven't really tried taking care of one before, I've been a bit paranoid >.>;... but now I know I can use part of a potato to kill snails if they do start breaking out, and I thank you for this, JKfish ^.^
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote