Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #1 
HelloThere123Betta

Thoughts on .5 gallon tanks?

My sister has this .5 gallon tank (she doesn't use it) but I was just wondering what you guys thought about them. They're cute and a space saver, but they're kinda small for my liking (I use a 2 gallon). How frequently would you have to change the water, in your opinion? And basically, are they're any good at all? Thanks.
HelloThere123Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

To me, .5 gallon tanks are out of the question. They're not okay. I would get at LEAST 1.5 gallons for any Betta. You can't heat a .5 gallon tank, and Bettas are tropical fish. They NEED heaters. Just my 2 cents.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #3 
caitic10

They are way to small! A tank for a betta should be at the very least two gallons. A .5 gallon would have to be cleaned every day to keep the betta healthy.
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #4 
LaLaLeyla

Just as long as the water is clean and well heated.
I have a 0.5 gallon and my betta seems content in it.

Last edited by LaLaLeyla; 08-18-2011 at 07:45 PM.
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #5 
Sweeda88

There is NEVER an instance where a .5 gallon is okay. Please don't give him false advice just because you're misinformed.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #6 
doggyhog

I personally think that unless you are a breeder and are just jarring fry or temp. housing adults they are too small.

They make good hospital/emergency tanks if you find a way to heat them safely.

IMO they are not worth the hassle. Why bother with it if you can get your hands on a bigger container.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

I agree with what's been said already.

As a short term tank (meaning you have no other option but are planning to upgrade in the very near future) it can work but not as a permanent solution.

Yes the fish can survive in it but the point of having a pet is to provide it with an enriching life and be able to enjoy it as much as possible. That's not really the case in such a small tank.

There are many ways to have a bigger tank on a budget. Getting a clear plastic container with a lid then adding plants and a heater to it can be very cheap. Just add air holes to the lid and cut out a space for the heater cord to come out and you have a great little tank for a very cheap price.

I do have some small .5 gallon tanks and I use them for picture taking purposes and to jar fry.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #8 
metalbetta

I personally wouldn't use a .5 gallon for anything other than a space to keep a fish in while doing water changes. When I first started this hobby and had no idea what I was doing (impulse buy fish... long story lol) I had a half gallon tank, and my betta was visibly unhappy about it. not to mention the water clouds FAST. If you were to keep a fish in one, you'd have to change the water twice daily to keep it clean. Which is just too much work for me! lol
2 gallons is great for an average sized betta fish.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #9 
Luimeril

.5 gallons seems okay for many bettas you get from the pet store. i recently got a boy, named Scout(he's the one in my avatar), and he's TINY! but, bettas grow quickly, and he'll eventually be too big for .5 gallons. it's VERY hard to keep up with the water changes, and your betta will get bored with the limited amount of decor you can have in such a small tank. you're better off buying a larger tank(at least 1-2 gallons, with 2 gallons being MUCH better), and using the .5 for water changes(to keep him in while you clean his tank).
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #10 
bahamut285

Hello 123Betta, welcome to the forum!

Considering you're already using a 2 gallon, it would be best to try to stick with something of similar size for any future betta you are planning on getting. The problems with using a 0.5 Gallon include:
- You *MUST* change the water everyday
- Your betta will appear lethargic purely because they have no room to swim in
- They are tropical fish and 0.5 Gallon tanks are very difficult to safely heat

While I agree they look cute and save a lot of space to have even MORE betta, I would not consider it an ideal and nourishing environment.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batta, betta fish, fish tanks, small