Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #1 
fishcurl

Unsure of treatment - fishy is still in his petsmart cup :<

I just brought home Meringue, a pretty yellow veiltail. The edges of his fins are blackish so I'm assuming fin rot.

I know usually you're supposed to fill out the form in the sticky, but he's a new acquisition and hasn't even been put in a tank yet. He's still in the petsmart cup in a dark quiet room.

His ultimate home will be a 3 gallon tank with filter and a heater.

My questions are:

1. Should I put him into the 3 gallon and treat him there? Or should I put him in a .8 gallon hospital tank (no filter or heater) during treatment? Or something else?

2. Anything else I should treat him with aside from aq salt and Stress Coat?

Thanks in advance!
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic...black edges don't always mean fin rot......are the fin tip also ragged, crusty...etc......if so, I would treat in the cup you have him in...but it depends on how bad it is too....minor...I would do a clean dechlorinated water treatment in his home tank, however, the filter can sometimes make it worse......is he overall acting fine...just the fin issue.......nutrition is really important too......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #3 
fishcurl

Hi OFL,

Whoops! I meant to post the picture. I've attached it this time. Caudal and anal fins are very ragged and edged in greyish-black. Ventral fins look pinched and dark at some of the ends.

I got antsy and transferred him over to the .8 gallon with pre-treated water (1 tsp aq salt to 1 gallon water + 1 ml stress coat). I made sure to bob his cup and to slowly add a bit of tank water every 5 minutes. There's also a couple of fake plants for him to hide in.

I'm not sure if he is behaving normally yet as he only came home an hour ago and is understandably hesitant.

Thanks for reading.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #4 
Leeniex

He'll be a lovely boy when he settles in!
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Its hard to tell by the pic-but some of the darken areas look like normal pigment, however, since you have him in treatment already-I would go ahead and do a full 10 day treatment and this will give him time to acclimate and get some new growth on the fins.....lovely fella...nice find.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #6 
EverythingNice55

Aww. What I beautiful betta!

What I suggest is you take your betta out of the Petsmart cup because it kind of looks filthy. And bettas don't belong in a dark room, they need sunlight. They NEED it. I learned that the hard way. :(
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #7 
EverythingNice55

Sorry, I meant What A beautiful betta! LOL!
Old 08-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #8 
Aven

^Bettas do not always need sunlight...in fact its better to keep your betta in a dark room for the first day or two because it relieves stress.
Aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #9 
EverythingNice55

I kept my betta in a dark room for a few days and he nearly DIED.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #10 
fishcurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Its hard to tell by the pic-but some of the darken areas look like normal pigment, however, since you have him in treatment already-I would go ahead and do a full 10 day treatment and this will give him time to acclimate and get some new growth on the fins.....lovely fella...nice find.....
Thank you! I'll continue the treatment, but will be moving him into a heated tank this afternoon. I meant to mention that it looked like his fins were dissolving in a few places; I know it's really hard to see in those pictures with the yucky blue water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverythingNice55 View Post
What I suggest is you take your betta out of the Petsmart cup because it kind of looks filthy. And bettas don't belong in a dark room, they need sunlight. They NEED it. I learned that the hard way. :(
I did that already (see my second post above) :)

It is my understanding (which has been backed up by people more knowledgeable than I am) that keeping bettas in darkened and quiet rooms help them de-stress.

As Meringue seems to be a delicate and skittish fella, I opted to keep him quiet for a few hours until I could decide what to do with him :)

He's currently in his hospital tank in the main room now with a towel blocking the light on one side. I'll be moving him to more luxurious accommodations soon.