Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #11 
LaLaLeyla

Good luck with the betta hes gorgeous ^^

Last edited by LaLaLeyla; 08-18-2011 at 04:08 PM.
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #12 
fishcurl

Thank you, I appreciate it!

Meringue is now in a 3 gallon heated and treated tank. No filter; saving that for when he's better. Two bushy fake plants and a small aquarium pagoda for him to hide in.

The warmer water and the extra space seems to have perked him up mightily. He's having a good time exploring every nook and crany. Still freaks out the moment he notices my hand :<

I've attached the best picture I've gotten of his tail thus far. His tail is rather jagged and you can see the darkish edge to it. Is this normal for a veil tail?
Attached Images

fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:26 AM   #13 
Sakura8

The darkened edges look like natural pigmentation to me. With fin rot, the darkened edges would be really black, like it would look as if someone had taken a black marker across the tips of his fins. And you'd probably be finding chunks of black fin on the bottom of his tank. So the good news is he's a lot healthier than you first thought. It's possible ammonia in the cup burnt his fins off or he chewed on them because he was bored or stressed; who wouldn't be bored or stressed in those dinky cups?

Darkened or dim rooms for a day or two are good for destressing, especially if the betta is high-strung and freaks out at lots of movement. I wouldn't recommend it long-term obviously, but for de-stressing, it's fine. Also, if you ever receive a betta or fish through the mail, it's a very good idea to open the package in a dark room so their eyes can adjust to light again.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:48 PM   #14 
fishcurl

Thank you Sakura for taking a look. You're always so kind, sweet, and knowledgeable!!!! <3

I didn't know what fin rot was supposed to look like. Thank you for the description. His fin edges are definitely not marker-black so you must be right about the pigmentation.

He finally ate this morning instead of bolting like scaredy cat. He's also zooming around like a bouncy ball on caffeine. And sometime between when I left and came back a few hours later, he managed to build a large bubble nest across the front of the tank

Should I stop fin rot treatment and get him into a more permanent home? I can continue to dose with stress coat but if he still needs aq salt, I'll keep him in the 3 gallon.

Thanks again for all your help. I'm sorry I keep posting false alarms

EDIT: Here's another pic of his tail flared out.

Last edited by fishcurl; 08-19-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #15 
Silverfang

I think your boy is really settling in! Always such a nice reward
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #16 
fightergirl2710

He's really pretty fishcurl! I want a yellow guy so bad! And don't worry, they always love to scare us X3! That bubblenest is crazy!
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:53 PM   #17 
Sakura8

Fishcurl, you're making me blush with the compliments. Thanks, that's sweet of you to say.

Your treatment was aquarium salt, correct? It won't hurt to keep him in it for a full 10 days, but lower the dosage down to 1 tsp per gallon. The salt will help ward off any infection so his tail doesn't get fin rot and it will help him produce some slime coat so he can stay healthy while he transitions into his new home. I'm so glad he ate. And I'm even more impressed by his bubblenest. It's amazing. He's quite the find, fishcurl.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #18 
fishcurl

No bubble nest this morning, but he is starting to colour up. What was once blackish is starting to turn blue. It will be interesting to see what colour he winds up as. Though he better stay at least a little yellow or I'll have to find a new name for him XD

Silverfang - thank you! Yes, he does seem to be adapting to his home quite nicely. This morning he gobbled his breakfast; he's already learning the wiggle dance XD

Fightergirl - *hides Meringue* lol, j/k :D

Sakura - Thank you! I've been treating with 1 tsp aq salt to 1 gallon so I'll continue with that.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #19 
fishcurl

I just wanted to give an update on Meringue and to thank everyone for their help. He's doing fabulously well. The fins are healing, he's making bubble nests, and he even ate two frozen bloodworms last night. He wasn't too sure about them, but gobbled them up when he realized how tasty they were.

Here's a couple of progress shots. I'm really amazed at the last one.

Day 3 and his colours are really coming out

Day 2 and Day 6 fin regrowth comparison
Old 08-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #20 
fightergirl2710

Woah, look at that tail! So long! @_@ And its gonna get longer! He looks like a ballgown XD
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote