Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #1 
kasai0816

Two bettas in one tank with divider?

I recently put two bettas -- one male and one female -- in a 2.5 gallon tank with a divider down the center (giving them each 1.25 gallons). The divider is solid in color, however, it has holes in it to allow water to flow through. My friend, upon learning of this, said that I should take the female and transfer her to my other, smaller tank (.3 gallons), since she is smaller, and so that they won't be stressed out by having someone else in their territory. However, I had thought, upon buying, that the divider was solid enough that the fish wouldn't be able to see eachother, and neither shows signs of aggravation towards the other.

Help?
kasai0816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #2 
kasai0816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasai0816 View Post
I recently put two bettas -- one male and one female -- in a 2.5 gallon tank with a divider down the center (giving them each 1.25 gallons). The divider is solid in color, however, it has holes in it to allow water to flow through. My friend, upon learning of this, said that I should take the female and transfer her to my other, smaller tank (.3 gallons), since she is smaller, and so that they won't be stressed out by having someone else in their territory. However, I had thought, upon buying, that the divider was solid enough that the fish wouldn't be able to see eachother, and neither shows signs of aggravation towards the other.

Help?

I can supply a photo if anyone would like to see one.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #3 
MMAsac
Banned

honestly, they both need a minimum of 2.5 gallons.
MMAsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #4 
CoverMeInClay

Until you can get a larger home for the second betta I'd keep them as is. Even if you get s critter keeper. Like MMAsac said, they should have about 2.5 gallons + each. I wouldn't put the girl in that tiny container though. Invest in another home and then seperate them, or get something that is 5 gallons + and divide that.
CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #5 
kasai0816

Thank you guys for your help. That was my error -- I thought I had read that they need 1.5 gallons each, instead of 2.5 :(
Old 08-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #6 
cutiepie

Unhappy Help!!!

I put both of my males in the same tank with a divider but now I need HELP!!! I saw my blue male betta sitti9ng at the bottom of the tank and not sure if she is asleep but she stilll moves around. She used to sleep in a floating log but since i got another one she wont sleep in it what should i do?

Last edited by cutiepie; 08-17-2011 at 09:19 PM.
cutiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #7 
Myates

Cutie, probably would help if you posted in the emergency section of the forums with the sticky.. sometimes we don't always see problems when you post on another's topic.

Kasai, they can live happily in a 1gal when it is properly cared for. 1gal should be the minimum, anything under can be too stressful. Other then that, the sizes are people's personal opinions. I've always had mine in 1gals from years ago and now.
The divider sounds fine, put some plants on one side of it if you think you need more protection. They sound like they are doing good. Do 2 weekly water changes with a dechlorinator, 1 50% and 1 100%, making sure the temp is within a cpl degrees of each other. If it is filtered then that can change the water change %s.
Just keep some plants in there, if you can find a small cave, they'd love that as well. If you can't find one, let me know, took me a while but I found a perfect one for a 1gal :)
If you do as your friend suggested and put the female in the .3, you will have a very stressed unhappy girl. You'd have to do daily water changes, no real way to give her the cover she needs plus room to swim.

Last edited by Myates; 08-17-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #8 
kasai0816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Cutie, probably would help if you posted in the emergency section of the forums with the sticky.. sometimes we don't always see problems when you post on another's topic.

Kasai, they can live happily in a 1gal when it is properly cared for. 1gal should be the minimum, anything under can be too stressful. Other then that, the sizes are people's personal opinions. I've always had mine in 1gals from years ago and now.
The divider sounds fine, put some plants on one side of it if you think you need more protection. They sound like they are doing good. Do 2 weekly water changes with a dechlorinator, 1 50% and 1 100%, making sure the temp is within a cpl degrees of each other. If it is filtered then that can change the water change %s.
Just keep some plants in there, if you can find a small cave, they'd love that as well. If you can't find one, let me know, took me a while but I found a perfect one for a 1gal :)
If you do as your friend suggested and put the female in the .3, you will have a very stressed unhappy girl. You'd have to do daily water changes, no real way to give her the cover she needs plus room to swim.
Thank you for your advice, as well :)

I've actually never had betta fish before, so this is a new experience for me.... any advice is appreciated. I'm getting paid tomorrow, so my first purchase (after bills are paid, of course) will be a small cave. Although, I somehow doubt I'll find a nice one at wal-mart...

Also, if you could please tell me why I can't post a profile pic... maybe send me a private message or something? That would be awesome, but if you don't care to, you don't have to

Last edited by kasai0816; 08-17-2011 at 10:25 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 08-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

sometimes walmart has some nice deocrations :) I gt alot of fake plants from there because they have a 3 pack for $5.88 whereas petco is like $5 for one. Granted theirs are nicer but with 16 fish, I like cheap

For profile pic, do you mean your avatar? the small pic on the left of people's posts? you should be able to add a pic if you go to user CP and then edit avatar.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #10 
kasai0816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
sometimes walmart has some nice deocrations :) I gt alot of fake plants from there because they have a 3 pack for $5.88 whereas petco is like $5 for one. Granted theirs are nicer but with 16 fish, I like cheap

For profile pic, do you mean your avatar? the small pic on the left of people's posts? you should be able to add a pic if you go to user CP and then edit avatar.
Thank you so much for the advice! I checked my wal-mart, and either the holes are too small (smaller than a quarter) or the caves are much too big. sigh... perhaps petco?

And thanks for the advice :) I finally have an avatar :)

Last edited by kasai0816; 08-18-2011 at 05:47 PM. Reason: grammatical error