Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #1 
roselight7

Is my Betta ill?

Housing
Size of tank?A bowl with gravel it came with, I need to get a tank.
Temperature? Warm, about 78degrees.
Does tank have filter? Heater? No.
Fish lives with mates? No.

What food do you feed? Dried flake mix, labeled specifically for Betta. Came with the fish.
How often do you feed? Once daily, in the evenings, as directed, not overfeeding.

Maintenance
How often do you change water? Haven't changed yet, just received fish.

So, I have just received a Betta as a gift a couple of days ago. I am not sure how old it is and do not know of any history of illnesses. The fish is a male. He eats fine, doesn't spit out any food. He seems to swim fine, but he does tend to hover at the surface, as if relaxing. If I wave my Ginger near it or come close, it starts to move around. I am a newbie and I don't know if it's normal for Bettas to hover at the surface or is something is wrong. Also, it's body color is lighter at the head, then darkens toward the belly/tail.
I would really appreciate any help. Thanks.
roselight7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #2 
roselight7

Edit: I meant finger. If I wave my finger near it. Typo.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum......

It sounds like normal behavior to me, however, I would go ahead and make a 50% water only change with like temp dechlorinated water......

Be sure and try to keep the water temp within a couple of degrees between new and old water to prevent temp shock by testing it with a thermometer

Always use a dechlorinator with any water added to the fish-unless you are on well water...

Dose for the full volume of the tank.....measure the container so you will know the volume.....

Once you get the volume of the tank we can help you with regular water change schedule based on the tank size.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #4 
roselight7

Thanks! So, if I use dechlorinator, then I don't need to let the tap water stand for like two days before putting it in? The friend who gave it to me said the water needs to stand...she had her Betta for about 6 months and that's what she did, except recently she added a female to the tank with the male and they fought. Bit sad, because the male died.

I read that the males build a bubble nest. Mine didn't build one yet, just some bubbles in the corner of the bowl. Does it take some time for the fish to adjust to it's surroundings or something? Or just they build it over time?
Old 08-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

By using a dechlorinator-the water is ready to use instantly..it binds on contact...so the water is safe to use as long as the temp is equalized as well....let your tap run for a second or two to clear the pipes before you collect the water for the Betta-add the proper amount of dechlorinator-stir and use......

Usually once the Betta settles in-he should start to make a bubble nest for you-but it sounds like he may be doing this already...the bubbles in the corner may be the bubble nest......some make big ones and others don't....find you a dried Oak leaf, rinse if off and let it float in his tank...they like to build nest under things......the leaf will also release tannins in the water and make the water dark and Bettas love this too and its healthy for them as well.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote