Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #1 
crystalmylovee

Unhappy tank cycle / scared

so I've had my tank up and running for about two weeks now its a 10 gal, and it's divided because I have two Bettas. I had them in and they were acting weird soon after I found out about cycling so I tried doing the cycle while they were in the tank but things just got worse. they both got fin rot, really stressed, ect. so I took them out put them each in separate containers and I'm doing the aquarium salt water treatments and it's actually working and they look so much better (: but now I'm scared to put them back in the 10 gal tank cause I'm not really sure about the cycle & I dont want them to be weird again /; I'm confused. I do have the test kit but only for ammonia and PH that's it. as much help I can get is appreciated :(
crystalmylovee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

It may be tank volume related and not the cycling process that is stressing the Bettas....what is the ammonia and pH reading.....the only way you are going to know the nitrogen cycle stage is with nitrite, nitrate readings as well...most important is the nitrate beside the ammonia......

How much and how often did you make water changes for the 2 weeks, additives used, water temp.....

Do you have live plants.....

You can still safely establish the nitrogen cycle with the Bettas in the filtered 10gal tank even without the testing products....but you have to guess a bit more or take water to the fish shop.....to be on the safe side.......in a 10gal filtered tank-for the first 6 weeks....make twice weekly water changes....1-50% water only and 1-50% with vacuum in all places that can be reached with the vacuum without moving anything or disruption of live plant roots if you have live plants......

After 6 weeks-just make 1-50% weekly with vacuum and a 50% water only anytime you see behavior changes in the fish as a general rule irregardless of water prams......

Depending on the type of filter you are using-if the HOB type-give the filter media a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #3 
crystalmylovee

ammonia is .5 and ph is 7.6
about 6, 50% water changes
I used topfin Betta conditioner, now I'm using topfin dechlorinator
water temp stays at 76-80 with the heater in the tank
no live plants
is it okay to use aquarium salt everytime I do water changes in my tank? and also is dechlorinator better?
Old 08-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I don't recommend using aquarium salt long term...it is great for short term treatments that best carried out in a small QT container for the right reason, dosage and duration.

Dechlorinator that covers-chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals are best...Prime by Seachem is a good one..but any that cover those 3 things are fine...be sure and check the label for proper dosage for chloramine-since some direct higher dosage...not all...but some do.....

Anytime you have ammonia reading 0.25ppm an greater-make a water change....but be aware some dechlorinator can change ammonia to ammonium that is the harmless form but still available for the nitrifying bacteria for the nitrogen cycle....you may have to go to the product web-site to find out and some will have it on the label.....

What kind of filter are you using.....and is it baffled....and have you changed the filter media or rinsed it during this time....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #5 
Aven

No AQ salt is only used for healing purposes, betta fish are freshwater fish so do not add salt. Just dechlorinator.
Aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #6 
crystalmylovee

my dechlorinator says 1ml for each 10 gal so is it fine to put in 1 ml with the first bucket (which is a gallon) then the next buckets not treated with dechlorinator when changing water?
I'm using Aqueon quiet flow
I was doing the water bottle baffle but it was still to strong, so insead I stuffed the out take on the filter with a sponge but I'm not sure it it effects my filter by not sucking up any of the particles, debris, ect.
I havent changed the filter media I've just rinsed it in old tank water once