Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #1 
GreenTea

Unhappy Ludwig devastated overnight. Pic heavy.

He's a small halfmoon, 2.5 gal unheated (the tank temp reads 78 its hot as all get out in here) and had been eating and doing fine until today, when he completely ignored his food. He's been eating like a pig since he came into my care so I was confused. I didn't see anything at first, he is so small! Then I noticed his gills weren't moving...and even worse, this. Is it rot? Fungus? His gills seem to be sticking out a bit and he has trouble moving them?

He's been keeping his mouth at the surface so he can breathe, it looks like its hard for him to open it. Available to me is prime, aq salt, epsom salt, and some bettafix.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:30 PM   #2 
GreenTea

bumping. anyone? i don't know how to treat this and can't find any solid info online.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:45 PM   #3 
Dozzem

D: I'm new to the betta things and that really sucks your betta isn't doing well.

Looks like it is fungus. I would put some aq in there but i would wait for a more exp. person to post. I would also look up betta fungus stuff and how to treat it
Dozzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:44 AM   #4 
vaygirl

It looks like it could be columnaris to me. Check out part two of our disease sticky up top to compare. But usually white cottony stuff starting at the mouth is columnaris. Treatment options are listed in the sticky if you think it's a match. Good luck!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:48 AM   #5 
GreenTea

This is so devastating. I had him in a tall tupperware thing, he kind of has to jump now to get air. I have him in a shallow baking pan now, with conditioned water at about 75, betta revive, and a bit of aq salt. Any weigh ins from the genius' around here and good thoughts are always welcome. This has all happened in like 24 hours. Here are some photos. He's having a lot of trouble breathing, in or out of water. Maybe this is why he was dropped off with me =[ =[ =[

I feel guilty, did I notice it too late? His mouth is so small! If there's no improvement I'm going to have to euthanize him. Every time he jumps up to get air I feel like crying.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:58 AM   #6 
Amphibianite

I feel so very sorry for him. I really hope you can do something for him.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:07 AM   #7 
hmckin20

it could be a jump but try some API Fungus Cure?

http://aquariumpharm.com/Products/Pr...x?ProductID=60

ohoh or this

Columnaris
•Symptoms: White spots on mouth, edges of scales and fins, Cottony Growth that eats away at the mouth, Fins rapidly disingrate, starting at the edges
Gray areas around head and gills, As the disease progresses the gray lesions may change in color to yellow/brown/red, Lesions often occur in front of the dorsal causing a “saddleback” appearance, Lethargic, Loss of appetite, Clamped, Gasping for air
•Treatment: There are 2 versions of Columnaris: chronic and acute. Chronic Columnaris can take days to progress while acute can kill within a day. It is contagious so isolate sick fish. If more than one fish shows symptoms then treat the entire tank. Perform daily 100% water change in small tanks or water change in larger tanks. Make sure to clean the gravel. Treat with Aq.Salt: add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Do NOT raise the temperature as it thrives in temps over 85*F, however, lowering the temperature does not seem to help fight it. Combine salt treatment with Mardel’s Coppersafe, Maracyn I & II, API Erythromycin, OR API Triple Sulfa, combined with Jungle’s Fungus Eliminator (if possible).
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:23 AM   #8 
GreenTea

Betta revive works on fungus stuff as well, I've used it before. I did the aq salt and conditioner with the meds, we'll just have to see if he makes it through the night :[

Thanks hmckin
Old 08-18-2011, 08:47 AM   #9 
GreenTea

I decided to sleep on my couch tonight, so he wouldn't be alone. He swam over to the corner next to me, we were about 8 inches apart. I thought you can do it buddy! We'll get you better!

I just woke up and while it looked like he was sleeping, he unfortunately, was not. Rest in peace little fish, you were so beautiful and I hope I was able to make your last days good ones out of a dirty cup of cold water.

I can't believe how much this has saddened me. I don't know what to do with his body, I haven't been able to move him :'(

Rest in piece Ludwig, you won't have to struggle anymore.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #10 
KristinM

Sorry for your loss :(
KristinM is offline   Reply With Quote