Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2011, 07:22 AM   #1 
Amphibianite

What is it with me?

What is it with me? With in a week it looks like I will have lost two fish... Water seems fine, the decor is nice and smooth...the tank is heated. I am doing everything by the book as close as I can to make sure they are healthy and happy.
Just about a week ago I purchased my first beta, he was happy and helathy on day one and morning two. Then all of a sudden he developed SBD in a matter of an hour and died that night...
I got a replacement from the LFS and everything was fine... He has been a little clinched but other than that fine these last 4 days... Eating fine and everything...until this evening. Now he is in a QT on his side barely moving barely reacting seemingly having the exact same problem that the first one had... I fear he too will be dead when I awaken....

I was given a VT and he is doing fantastic in his bowl.... I picked up a baby DTHM today and he is still getting used to the fact he has a home but it has only been a few hours... Yet he seems just fine...

So what is it with me? Is it my tank, is it my water, is it my luck, or is it the LFS? Can I catch a break? Can't I just get a fish who is healthy and happy and stays that way? Why does this keep happening to me?

Sorry I had to rant some.... this just isn't right... Why is it that people who abuse their fish by keeping them in tiny quart or so tanks not heated and barely change the water get to keep their bettas alive for years? And me who does everything he is able to make sure his betta is living in a nice happy home being well taken care of can't even keep him alive?

I just want to cry, I just want to break down and be depressed. I know it isn't right I know it won't help things, I know I have other boys (bettas) depending on me and I need to be a good dad to them. Its just hard to lose two boys in a week for no obvious reason...
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #2 
dragonflie

I posted in your other thread about this.

While I know it is very sad; try not to blame yourself. Sometimes you can do absolutely everything you can and still lose them. There's just no way to know either what stress these fish have experienced on the way to the store, or what pathogens they have been exposed to.

All I can promise you is that it will get better. Honor and love the ones you lose; but don't give up.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:30 AM   #3 
Amphibianite

Indeed Dragonflie. I don't truly blame myself I just needed to rant some and let it out.
Again as I posted there I will post here and say thank you for the kind words and thanks you for caring.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:42 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

I posted this in the other thread too..

It very well may be the fish from the store.
I have tested the water in every petco fish I got and some had ammonia levels as high as 4.0
He LOOKED ok in the store...

or it could be something in your water. Do you use water conditioner?
Also do you have a filter and is it cycled? I ask because the first 5 bettas I had died in less then 48 hours. Now that i know ALOT more about bettas, I think they died from ammonia or nitate poisining. I had a filter going but I didn't know about the whole nitrate cycle thing. The guy at petco said all I had to do was keep it running for 24 hours and it would be good to go. he also said I never had to change the water if i used a filter .

I also use stress coat as a conditioner.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 08-17-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:52 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Keep the faith, Amphibianite. Stay strong and read this, all of it: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...worried-63093/
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #6 
Aven

I'm sure its not your fault, it may be that the second fish contracted the disease from the first one assuming you kept them in the same tank. Also Tikibirds: I dont think a betta could die from ammonia poisoning in the first 48 hours...
Aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #7 
Amphibianite

Thanks guys, I am honestly okay. I just had to rant a bit at 4:00 am when I woke up to check and he was gone, though I knew he would be. He was pretty far gone.

Aven they where never kept together in a split tank or anything. I used the same tank, but I sterilized everything before I got him. He was a replacement for my first betta. From the same LFS. We believe it was a bad shipment.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry you lost your fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #9 
Kytkattin

It happens to the best keepers. Sometimes it just can't be avoided. I recently lost my fish Monet. I still don't know why, but he was off since I got him. Never very happy. :( However, Smaug has been around for a couple years now, through good times and bad, and he is still very much alive and kickin!

If you continue to have problems with the fish from one store you should probably consider going somewhere else entirely.
Again, I am sorry for your losses. :'(
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #10 
Banicks

Don't blame yourself! All of us here try to give the little fellas a better life than living in a dusty enclosed small container full of ammonia and yuckyness.

We all have the best intentions, but sometimes the big G upstairs wants them for his aquarium. At least they had the happiest times they could in their new home.

Rest in peace pretty fishies.
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote