Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #1 
Kevindolin2

Post Tank Cleaning?

Is there any kind of detergent I can use on my fish tank? I just put in a new plexiglass divider and was wondering what I could use to rinse/wash the tank out before I put the fish in. I read somewhere to use a 10% bleach solution.

Kevindolin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #2 
CoverMeInClay

You should use and soap or detergent. Use the 10% bleach solution in a spray bottle, sprits the entire interior and exterior surface and let sit 10 minutes, then rinse and let air dry. I wouldn't do that until the sealant you used cures though.
CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I don't use any chemicals. I simply wait for the sealant to fully cure (I wait between 3 - 7 days) then I fill the tank and let it sit for a week. Rinse, scrub a bit, and refill for use. ..... But that's just me. I hate chemicals in my tanks.

I hope you're not planning on keeping males on each side..... they could clearly see each other and might hurt themselves trying to bite the other.
indjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #4 
SnowySurface

Soaps aren't safe for fish so I doubt you will find any type of detergent that loathers or makes suds to clean fish tanks. I did start using a chemical spray called API Safe & Easy Aquarium Cleaner recently. I just spray it on, wait 10 minutes, and then rinse like crazy until I can't smell anything. Not that it smells bad, it just has a natural ordor. If you already own bleach, then just make your own spray for free. Since I don't own any bleach, I figured I would give the spray a try and liked the results. I haven't had any problems with the API cleaner, so it's safe enough for me to recommend.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #5 
tf1265

My LFS owner, who I trust completely on fish care as he's gotten me through a couple emergencies and runs an independent pet store not a for-profit chain, told me never to use anything but water and some salt if you need something to scrub. When i've had to clean my tanks out completely, I've used a brand new teflon-safe dish scrubber and some salt water, and that way you can still get a really good clean and there is nothing to worry about in terms of chemicals getting left in the tank somehow.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote