Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #1 
Bettas Rule
Banned

First Betta breeding (color question)

So I have owned Betta's for a long time and I finally decided to give breeding them a chance. I did a lot of research and I looked into every kind of breeder and method. I know that many people advise waiting to breed until you have show quality fish but I just didn't want to spend so much money on fish when I am just starting out. That said I have a red HM male that I bought from a very nice fish store here in Austin TX. He is not show quality however he is not a typical pet store variety either. The female is a wild color combination veil tail. She is very, very aggressive and large with beautiful color. I had origianlly wanted to use a turquoise veil tale from pets mart to spawn her with, but she made short work of him after they were left together overnight. He is still alive and as spirited as ever, just with less finnage to sport. So after that incident I took my larger red HM male and put him in there with the female. As I suspected he was to macho for her and after he showed her who's boss they were spawning within an hour. After about 8 hours of this I came in to notice the female guarding the nest and not allowing the male to tend to his nest, so I removed her. The male did an excellent job tending to the nest and the fry began free swimming on the 14th. I have a live plant for inforsia, and I feed a tiny portion of egg yolk twice a day. I clean the tank once a day to keep it clean and keep fresh aged water next to the tank. I keep my fry in the garage to maintain a warm temperature and they seem to be doing quite well. My question is what color combinations should I expect from this breeding?

Here is a short video I made http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAsMe...17307A&index=1
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:51 PM   #2 
Creat

First welcome to the forum and congratulations on the spawn!
Second I am not a color expert but I would assume you going to get a lot of wild type looking red vt's, photos of her would help but I just assume she is generic looking wild type.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #3 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Thanks! I really appreciate it! .My female looks exactly like this one I found online. .
Old 08-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

You're mainly going to get blues/greens with red wash. Depending on the lineage of the male you might get some surprises also.

You'll mostly have VT but you might get one or two deltas in the spawn as well.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #5 
Bettas Rule
Banned

That's cool. I really enjoy the wild type coloration and just to be there and watch them grow up is super cool. I am so excited about this.
I love the personality of both fish and I know the fry will have that same fiery temperament. I am gonna be setting them up in half gallon bowls and giving them away as Christmas presents to my family and friends. I only have like 25 fry anyway.