Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #1 
r0kinr0bin

Betta has Eye issue?

I've done a lot of reading online and I can't come to a conclusion on what's wrong with my crown-tailed Betta's right eye. Some background: He is the only fish kept in a 2 gallon tank, no plants or decorations that I think would cause damage to his eye. Purchased him about two months ago from a pet store and he looked normal, I did not notice problems with his eyes. I keep him filtered freshwater with water conditioners. he eats bloodworm pellets (Omega One Betta Buffet floating pellets). His demeanor has not changed, he swims around the tank and he is eating.His tank gets cleaned once a week. I'm a rather new betta owner, so I'm not privy to raising bettas, just basic maintenance. He's been a really great companion and I would like to know if this is something I can treat. Any advice would be great! Thanks for your time!

Good Picture of his body

Left eye you can tell looks normal

Abnormal Left eye
r0kinr0bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #2 
betta dude

Question

wierd...that is strange.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 08-25-2011 at 08:11 PM.
betta dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #3 
earthworm88

it's hard to tell, but looks superficial which means it could be corneal scarring. Not sure if there is cataract or not. Would you be able to get a closer/magnified photo? does his eye move on that side? If you put his pellet intentionally on that side, would he know immediately?
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum...

Is the eye sunken with a white object in it...hard to tell by the pic....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 08-18-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #5 
r0kinr0bin

No white in eye and no response on right side

Well I did the best with my camera, sorry for the flash glare, not great enough light in the house to see it properly. Doing the best I can with a point and shoot.

No notice of white in the eye, was hoping that was the case because then maybe it would be a more easy diagnosis. He does not respond well on this side leading me to believe that he cannot see easily on his right side. Also, some movement of the eye, but his eyelid appears to be gone! He swims to food, but I have been noticing that he will bend around to his left in order to see the food. I hope this helps and I really appreciate the help!

Last edited by r0kinr0bin; 08-18-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

If he is otherwise acting and eating okay...I would just watch him for now...quality water and nutrition.....with water temp in the 76-80F range...

In a 2gal filtered tank-I would increase the water changes to 50% twice weekly....1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip method, give the filter media a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month to maintain water quality.....

Fish can function and live a normal life with limited vision...they have the added sensory organ called the lateral line...kinda like echo location.....

Lovely fella by the way...nice find......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:22 PM   #7 
r0kinr0bin

Thank you! I'll be sure to do that and keep posted on his condition. :)

Tags
disease, eye, sunken eye