Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #1 
hmckin20

Three counts of lethargy?! Help please :(

Ohjeez, I'm having a lot of trouble with my fishies today :( Yesterday it started with Hippie, who now has clamped fins and won't move around a lot. Now Caspian (his divided tankmate) isn't doing a lot and Shasta (in a different tank) has clamped fins and is being lethargic. I'm not sure what's going on but I need help, these critters mean a lot to me. :(

They're all still eating and chasing my finger. I'm not sure about poo.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 10 Gal tanks
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, but I took it out to reduce stress.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Shasta lives with my new betta Bangle, and Hippie and Caspian have their divided tank.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets in the morning, 2 in the afternoon, 1 before bed.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 20% Weekly for H&C's tank with the filter and 20% daily for Shasta's tank.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? This week was a rough week for conditioner, I kept running out, so I used a few different kinds. The new kind I used for these two tanks (and not Flair and Pierce's) was something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-8-45-Oun.../dp/B0002563HM

But I bought this yesterday and have been using it since:
http://aquariumpharm.com/Products/Pr...x?ProductID=43

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Hippie is clamped up, no color loss though. Caspian no color loss, not clamped up, but definitely inactive. Shasta is clamped up too.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? They're all still eating but they're inactive.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I noticed Hippie day before yesterday and Caspian and Shasta today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet, I'm not sure what to do.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unsure.
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #2 
Kiere

I have had bad results with the Tetra Aqua Safe conditioner. My betta acted similar when I used it. So, they could just be having a bad reaction to the water conditioner. I personally have never used the API stress coat so I cannot comment on the effectiveness of that. I use prime water conditioner and never have had a problem. There are many other members that use it as well.

If you are concerned I am sure starting a AQ salt treatment would help perk them up from whatever containment the aqua safe wasn't neutralizing for the fish. But they might just need a couple of days to bounce back from the bad water. Any experts feel free to chime in on this : )
Kiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:59 PM   #3 
hmckin20

well the conditioner kinda smelled bad when i put it in, but i thought it was just a conditioner thing. okay, thank you, i think that's the problem, since flair, pierce and demi are all alright (and i didn't use any of it in their tanks)

right now i have them in QT tanks with some fresh water and i'm planning on doing some 100% changes on both of my 10 gallons (my back aches already!)

would lifting the temp of their qt tanks help any?

also i don't have legitimate aquarium salt; i have epsom salt. does that help?
Old 08-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

They could be reacting badly to the water conditioner. I use the same brand and it does have a somewhat foul odor, but I haven't had bad experiences with it. Have you recently switched brands of conditioner? I've heard that sometimes bettas react badly when switching brands for whatever reason.

Epsom salt won't help with anything but internal problems. If they're bloating then you could use it to stimulate their systems to see if their poop is normal.

Also, try feeding them a little less. You can cut out the 1 pellet at night for sure since their systems slow down like ours when we're sleeping. Maybe try 3 in the morning and 1-2 at night? Or if you have tail biters try 2 in the morning, 1 pellet in the afternoon, and 1 at night.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:31 PM   #5 
hmckin20

i have switched brands, betta conditioner is hard to come by in my little town (i usually have to go an hour away for the kind i want that doesn't run out in a day) so usually i switch between Aqueon and Top Fin, but I added that kind just recently in a desperate hour. so i haven't settled on a single brand but i'll be sure to do that in the future (i think i'll stick with api and aqueon)

okay, i was wondering if i was feeding them too much this morning. xD i'll cut down on their feeding.

thank you guys for your help :) i'll keep you updated.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #6 
LittleBettas

I use the API caot conditionor +
I have yet to have any problems with it, but I have used it since day 1
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:16 PM   #7 
Pataflafla

I think they were just used to the higher quality stuff and then the switch to a cheaper brand might have been noticeable to them.

I'm wondering if the cheaper brands don't take out as much of the chlorine and heavy metals that more expensive brands do. Your guys could just be sensitive to the difference.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #8 
hmckin20

I let them rest in QT for a while, and then Caspian went back to normal. I let his tank air out after draining it and I put some more water (with better conditioner) and he's perfectly fine. I put Hippie back in there just because my fellas seem to be less stressed when they're in their divided sections.. he keeps darting away from me but he's swimming some. He lost some color while in the smaller tank but he's back to being colorful now. I hope I wake up in the morning to a happy fish, clamp free.

That could be it. xD At least, I'm hoping so. Spoiled little brat. :3
Old 08-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #9 
hmckin20

Put my bettas back in their tanks. They seem to be perked up, what with new water and brand conditioner. Hippie's still a little clamped, as well as Shasta, but Caspian is only a little inactive, probably stressed from all my fretting today. Bangle is doing awesome!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #10 
Tikibirds

I have used both API stress coat and Betta bowl plus. I normally use stress coat though
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote