Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #1 
NCPanthersgurl

Exclamation Need help, and fast; I'm only home for another hour...{{pics!}}

I'd like to get treatment started before I go to work, it could make a difference as I've learned the hard way. :/

Sticky!

Housing
What size is your tank? 3gal
What temperature is your tank? 78*
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Generally frozen brine shrimp
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2 times a day, usually once in the morning once at night.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Usually every other day, every day with this guy...I'll explain below.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat and water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His colors have dulled, he has brown spotting, and tiny "holes" in his fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic, lacking appetite the last two days
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Couple days ago; first it was just lack of appetite, then color started to fade this morning. Spotting wasn't visible til I QTd him and got a closer look.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I moved him to a QT tank; about 3 inches of water with stress coat, tap water conditioner, and straight green tea.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Unsure; had him 4 days?
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unsure; walmart fishy

Okay so basically I got him from walmart about 4 days ago. He's been kinda inactive, but nothing for me to panic about. Yesterday he seemed to not want to eat, but when I came back the food was gone. Today he won't eat at all and his bright colors have dulled considerably. When I pulled him from his tank I noticed brown spotting, as well as small "holes" in his fins. Got the pics then. He's currently in 3 inches of treated water with green tea in it. He's been much more active in just the five minutes he's been in the green tea water, not sure if that's significant or not but he's swimming laps where in his prior tank he was just sitting.

I wanted to double check before I started with something like Maracyn II, which I have if needed.

Also might want to note that his water has been getting unnaturally cloudy. I've not had this problem with any of the other tanks and have been watching his carefully; I've been doing 100% water changes every day just to make sure he's in clean water.

Pics: {the last of which is where he is now, the QT water. He's on a dark shelf though, I know that can lower stress too}
Attached Images

NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #2 
NCPanthersgurl

Dunno if you guys can see the bloating in the last pic, but he's a bit moreso...
Old 08-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #3 
NCPanthersgurl

Sads...he passed already... D:
Old 08-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #4 
Leeniex

I'm so sorry! That was quick. :(
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #5 
NCPanthersgurl

I don't know why but it always is with my Betta's. They get sick and they die within the hour. D: I don't ever have time to treat them even if I do get a response on here. I would like to know what killed him though. He doesn't look different than he did in these pics so I'm not sure. I at least know why all my other Betta's died, for sure. One I bought sick; was pretty sure he wouldn't make it but had to try. One was fungal, lowered immunity from breeding. One was SBD that seems to have been a more hereditary issue. I just don't recognize these brown spots. :/
Old 08-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #6 
Comet1993

I'm so sorry about your betta! :(
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having so much trouble and that I didn't get your PM request until today...but by the sound of things I wouldn't have been much help......

But...lets see if we can figure out what is going on.....it may also just be really sick fish to start out and really stressed with too rapid changes......

How are you acclimating the new fish to your source water when you first get them.....

What kind of water are you using....straight tap.. going through a water soften unit or anything, if you use filtered water via home unit what kind is it...... well water, bottled water....etc.....

Dechlorinator-what brand and have you checked expiration date.....

Any other additives used in the water......

Do you have a test kit, if so, what kind is it and have you tested your source water-both treated, untreated and once in the tank...for-ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH....

The brown spots on the body......those are either normal pigment or it can also be related to ammonia

Could you tell what color the gill are before death other than the normal red color...... the indication of healthy oxygenated tissue-which should be red...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #8 
NCPanthersgurl

Lets see...I usually gradually pour water from the "tank" into their cup, let it sit, add a bit more. All done at a really neutral temperature, around 74*.

Now I have not tested my water...the issue I'm running into is I'm not sure if it's city water or well water. We don't pay for it and the property it's on has three natural springs on it that feed 4 or 5 different ponds. A well is very likely. But I can't be sure. Dechlorinator and Stress Coat are both API, both pretty new so they're still good. {checked :)} No other additives in the water.

The brown spots I'm sure were not there as of date of purchase. So it's definitely something that set in past two days. Gills...I don't remember but they did seem pretty dark. Maybe that's part of the issue...

I have 5 other males all in the same water, all treated the same, everything. All seem to be fine. We have a cycled 15 gal and a "cycling" 10 gal with the same water and additives, seems to be fine. And my spawn tank is the same, and the fry seem unaffected by water changes. So I don't think it's the water or chemicals. I could, of course, be wrong.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #9 
Silverfang

sounds like he might have already been sick when you got him :( sorry
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #10 
NCPanthersgurl

Silverfang; I've been concerned about the same thing. That he was sick, and moving him to clean water didn't help because he was past that point. The change just advanced him. It's probable; he was a WalMart baby.

Thankfully Venom, my other WalMart fishy that I got the day before Zora, seems to be doing well. He's positively thriving and I get at least a bubblenest a day. :)