Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta finnage

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  mjoy79 
#1 ·
Do bettas fins grow back even if you don't do salt treatment or anything? My friend bought a very tattered betta and doesn't want to spend the money on stuff like that.

#2 ·
They do with good water quality. What size is the tank? That way we can tell you the recommendations. I hope at least your friend is using a water conditioner/dechlorinator.
Lets just hope it's not fin rot, if so he will def need meds to survive. Are the tips of the fins black?

#4 ·
1gal is fine, have her do 1 50% and 1 100% water change each week using the conditioner. (full dosage for the 50%)
That will help with the fins growth and will reduce the risk of getting fin rot. If she has stresscoat, that is good for fin repair/growth, use that with the water changes.

#8 ·
Their fins will generally grow back in clean, well cared for water. I recommend doing 100% water changes EVERYDAY for a week.

No offense to your friend, but "[not] wanting to spend money on stuff like that" is completely irresponsible as a pet owner. That's like having kids and not wanting to spend the money on medicine...

#9 ·
@Sakura: Im sorry I meant she didn't have a heater, not a filter. She has a filter.

@Bahamut: Yes I totally agree, btw: I bought some stress coat for her, hopefully that'll help some.

But if a fish(hers) has stress stripes, how do you fix that?

#11 ·
Stresscoat+ will promote healing, which is great. As pataflafla said, striping is due to a wide range of causes. I've seen bettas go stripey just for seeing a camera!

As long as he/she is acting normal, it is probably something PFF said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.