Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #11 
cajunamy
Banned

In .5 gallons you will have to change the water everyday or his health will go downhill quickly. He may get depressed b/c there isn't a heck of alot of room. You will have to find a way to heat it reliably, and stably. Those things are hard to keep up with honestly, and I wouldn't recommend it for a pet
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #12 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyhog View Post
I personally think that unless you are a breeder and are just jarring fry or temp. housing adults they are too small.

They make good hospital/emergency tanks if you find a way to heat them safely.

IMO they are not worth the hassle. Why bother with it if you can get your hands on a bigger container.
Agreed wholeheartedly.

Theyre usually the same price as much bigger ones, too-- which is absurd.

Go bigger, save yourself the time, the hassle, all of that :D
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #13 
TheCrysCat

Pretty much what everyone else said. But welcome to the forum :]

When I first got my bettas, I thought .5 gallon tanks were okay and so I kept them in that. They were visably unhappy, though, to the point that I had to go out and get a 2.5 gal because one of them looked to be on his last legs. The thing is, you *have* to change the water everyday, but that could stress the fish out. Only a few really hardy ones would be able to handle it.

Besides, bigger ones are actually cheaper (I got a 5.5 gal for less than those .5 gallons!) and they're a ton more fun :D
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #14 
HelloThere123Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Theyre usually the same price as much bigger ones, too-- which is absurd.
Oh I know! I think thats weird too! At my Walmart the tiny .5 gallon tanks are cheaper than the 1 and 1.5 gallons!

Thanks so far for the replies! I just wanted to know what you guys thought. My sister was kinda pushing me to use her old tank because I was looking at the walmart bettas. Thank godness I didn't give in to temptation, I thought that a .5 gallon was too small too!
HelloThere123Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #15 
TheCrysCat

Yup :3 We're glad to help, especially when the question-giver is willing to listen. Thanks for being a good questioner :D
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #16 
Sweeda88

I'm glad we could help. =D
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #17 
doggyhog

If you can't find a bigger tank you like you can always use a storage bin. They work extremely well, aren't the prettiest, but get the job done.

Edit: I forgot to say, welcome to the forum. ;)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #18 
LittleBettas

Welcome to the forum :)

I actually used a .5 for Tihs when I first got her... before I even joined this forum (I was doing daiy water changes) I decided to upgrade to a one gallon, even that SMALL improvement was AMAZING, she went from being just a decoration (she didnt really swim or anything) to being fiesty little fish that would start to swim frantically whe ever I camenear to the tank.... she has now since been updated to a 2.5 and while her fiesty personality has not changed, her color has hanged DRASTICALLY, darkening and becoming more vibrant :)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #19 
PewPewPew

Haha, oh yeah-woops! Sorry!

Welcome, hun. Great to see you're willing to research! Thats the best kind of keeper.

And yeah- like doggyhog said!

If you really cant get a tank of a better size, you can get a high quality sterilite or rubbermaid (better brand, so it wont leech!) container, clear and use that as a tank for a time. Its not great for permanent homes.

I believe you can get 2 gallons for less than $5 :D Better yet, pft, get 5 gallons for less than $10!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #20 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Besides, bigger ones are actually cheaper
I would really like to know where you people live because a 1 gallon tank costs at least $25 here and my 5 gallon was $65

My personal opinion is that for short term it will be OK as long as you do the required water changes but I wouln't wait too long to go for bigger. I like the XL petco pet keepers - they are about 3 gallons and alot easier to clean then my 5 and 10 gallon.

I have a .3 gallon but I use if only for sick fish or on the first night i bring home a new fish - kinda like a 24 hour quarantine thing. Then they go into something bigger.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batta, betta fish, fish tanks, small