Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #1 
Tikibirds

I got questions...

1) In two of my tanks they get like this slimy fuzzy like substance. I only find it in two tanks - and they are the ones with a live amazon sword in it. Both tanks have heaters and the fish seem to be OK. what on earth is this stuff?
it looks like little balls of fuzzy hair and EVERYTHING in the tank has a very slimy texture to it. I clean the tanks and it always comes back. What is it?

2) Is there anything I can do for him? he started tailbitting in april sometime. I tried moving decorations, new decorations, had him alone in a 10 gallon, divided the 10 gallon and tried both a male and female next to him..nothing seems to stop it and the fins are not healing/growing back. I did AQ salt and I use stress coat. I started AQ salt again yesterday and he is now in a 1 gallon to make changes easier. Before he was swimming around alot and now he rests mostly on the bottom or in his anemone. His side fins keep going, but he seems to be alot less active and only swims up for air and then goes back to his anemone. He gets daily water changes but Im wondering if its him or something in my tap water. Some of the others have been less active after recent water changes as well...They all get stress coat as a conditioner. I know the tap has ammonia in it as I have tested it before and I know the water has a high PH.

he is not clamped and has no other odd behaviors, maybe he is just getting old? When I first got him, he was like that. Then I did 1/2 tap water mixed with 1/2 distilled and he perked right up (also used betta bowl plus). Should I try that again? I know 100% distilled is bad but when I did it, and tested the water with 1/2 distilled all the test reading were within range.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 08-18-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:01 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Tiki, I get that slimy nasty stuff too. I honestly wish I knew what to tell you. Do you have filters in those tanks? If so, turn them on high or unbaffle them or whatever so the water can get good and stirred up. Also check the temp and the lighting, I think those two factors can cause the stuff to appear faster.

Sorry, no idea how to help you with Grumpy. :(
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:50 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

Nope, they are not filtered. They have no lighting but they are by the window and the temp is 82 in both
Old 08-19-2011, 01:10 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Sounds like it might be too warm. Algae and slime grows faster in warm waters. Can you move them away from the window? Although I do realize you have very little space to work with . . . Well, at the least, I don't think it harms the fish at all. It's just really nasty.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:11 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

I can lower the temp on the heaters. Actualy one heater want even plugged in and it was still all slimy
Old 08-19-2011, 03:15 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Eww. I really hate that stuff. Maybe you can do a gravel vac twice a week or something like that to get as much out as possible. It almost feels like excess slime coat on everything, although I don't think that's what it is.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:39 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

That's what I was thinking too...

do you have live plants? maybe its from that??
Old 08-19-2011, 03:57 AM   #8 
Sakura8

I do, actually. Hmm. But when I first started getting this slimy stuff I noticed it in my 2.5 gallon barebottom tanks that had only fake plants. I didn't notice it as much after I put gravel in. Then the stuff started showing up in my 10g with live plants. I put a new decoration in and the next day it was coated with the stuff, it was so gross.