Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #31 
emeraldsky

I got my first betta when i left for college, I was living on campus and it was really the first time I was away from home for so long and I was homesick/depressed a lot.

Fish had always made me happy, so I impulse bought Roger, my red veiltail and George, my blue veiltail and kept them in one of those itty bitty divided betta tanks. They seemed low maintenace and the person at the petstore told me I could virtually do nothing for them besides throw a few pellets in, so I got them. They lasted me the whole year and came with me when I came home. I didnt end up going back so they stayed in my room with me.

After awhile, I decided to get some more bettas since Roger and George were doing so well and long story short, I ended up with 12 bettas in those little betta keepers (and a completely overstocked 50 gallon, so many goldfish D:)

Unsurprisingly, all my bettas died within the span of 6 months or so. I wasnt too torn up about them since they didnt really do anything (though how could they, in that little bit of water) though Roger going hit me pretty hard.

I ended my betta habit and ended the 50 gallon shortly after, I was tired of all the upkeep of it (Nothing ever worked on that POS tank LOL)

Then about 6 months ago, I was missing fish again so I set up a small 5 gallon with Gaston (my avvie picture) I wanted something bigger than a betta keeper and bettas were the only fish that were cheap enough and pretty enough to put in there. And then, I finally saw how fun bettas were, Gaston has such a great personality, he flails at everything!

I managed to only keep Gaston for about 5 months and then I asked if I could reset up my old 50 gallon. (By then I had found this site and wanted to start a sorority) My old 50g was a tall though so I ended up selling it and buying a a 40g breeder (better for bettas!) After more researching, I ended up not getting a sorority and divided the whole thing up so now I have 6 betta males in there.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=83993
Here they are c:

So now I'm officially addicted again, this time with information and the ability to come here for help and I already have 2 more tank ideas I want to try out!
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #32 
Zappity

When I was 2 or 3, my Grandpa took me to the petshop to look at the fish(I LOVED looking at the fishies..I still do). I don't really remember that much about being there, but I ended up with a betta, whom I named Rosy. Who was navy blue and looked nothing like a rose. I 'gave' him to my mom for her birthday (even though she had already seen him xD), who asked if she could give him a name. I said yes and she named him Mr. *insertrestofnamehere*. He lived for almost 5 1/2 years. He was my first betta, and less than a year after I got him, I got another one, who lived for 2 years. I had about 4 after that, but, heh, being the little kid I was, I fed them about 11 times a day(mom didn't know), which always resulted in "MMMMMMOOOMMMYYYY MY BETTA DIIED!!", and crying hysterically. So after Mr. *insertnamehere* died, I didn't get anymore till August of this year. I talked my Mom into taking me to the Petstore, where I bought Mr. Bubbles. Right now, Mr. Bubbles is fiercely protecting his bubblenest and flaring at me. <3 Oh how I love my Bettas...:)
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:19 AM   #33 
Gamma

I was righting a report on freshwater fish tanks and asked my mother if I could get one she told me I could have a betta so I got one I didn't know anything about them and put him in a half gallon bowl.

he wouldn't eat so I thought maybe his bowl is to small and up graded to a gallon bowl.

still wouldn't eat I so i read up on bettas a bit and realized what I had done and went and got a filtered, lighted tank. Then he started eating but really he head been eatting but was to small to eat a whole pellet.

Baron lived happily in tha tank for a year and a haft until a fly landed in his tank and gave him a infection. sense then I had a female Betta Tera and I'm planning on a new one.
Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:44 AM   #34 
Dragonlady

I have no story to tell, really. I caught my first wet pets alone in a local stream by my house at around age 7 or 8. The rest is history.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #35 
xbecky685x

My boyfriend got his own fish tank and i grew interested about the fish he had and came across this website.. which then led me onto this Betta bit and iv been addicted ever since! Then after a couple of weeks or something? not really sure.. Got my own betta! :)
x

Last edited by xbecky685x; 10-26-2011 at 11:29 AM.
xbecky685x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #36 
tpocicat

My first love was cats. I bred Ocicats (hence the name) and showed them for several years. When I was 19 I went into my LFS and told the person I had never had a tank before and followed his instructions. I was lucky and he knew what he was doing. I stared with various tetras (still love them). Several years later I discovered Bettas (WOW). The females at that time were all pretty muddy looking, so I was only interested in having one male at a time.
After showing cats for several years, it got more expensive for me so I stopped. I got into Bettas because they are so beautiful, and I still have the show bug!
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #37 
laughing

Ok bear with me on this story...

A little over a year ago my boyfriend and I were at a school "fair" (carnival) type of thing before homecoming game and all that jazz. There was a game with a HUGE line but it was cups set up in a triangle that you threw ping pong balls at to make it in the cups. Let's just say my boyfriend was very good at this from lots of practice.... Y'all older ones will get it! So because of this I begged him to go play it, and the prize was fish. Goldfish I believe, actually. He's one of those guys where he isn't too patient, and told me there was no way in hell he was going to stand in a line for 45 minutes for a dang fish!

We ran into my friend there and she knows him well. She tells him in her sassy manner that because of his reluctance to win me a fish, he has to buy me a fish! I said I wanted a Clownfish, because I think they're gorgeous and so much fun. This went on for a few months... Then we were at a football game and invited a different friend along. My boyfriend shared my little dream and our friend (who knows a decent amount of fish) basically chewed me out on my decision and that I would never be able to manage a salt water tank. DREAM CRUSHER.

Fast forward even longer than that to our anniversary (February). I had set up a whole suprise date and such so he came over to my apartment. He had a gift bag and then in his other hand was holding his clothes. (Gym shorts, shirt, etc. for later relaxing.) I went to help him and grabbed his clothes.. I freaked out. (In the bad way!) There was something under there that was firm but gave to pressure and I had no idea what it was and basically was scared out of my mind. He then revealed it to me... A tiiiny baby angel fish, and 2 balloon mollies! He kept his promise C:

Now I was freaking out in the good way. I threw a tank together, jumped on Google, ya da ya da... I began to find care for them and looked at Tropical forums. After about 2 weeks of owning them, I found this forum that was linked to the Tropical Fish forum... Oh boy. I began my spiral! I looked at the pictures, browsed Aquabid, read, read, read... I got brave enough to make an account and found out what these little guys needed. During this time I found out a 5 gallon for a baby angel fish and 2 mollies wasn't appropriate AT ALL, and that I needed 4 more mollies for everyone to be happy. My poor angel fish died, he got sucked into the filter... But I still pursued my mollies. Bought them a 20 gallon, thought I was doing everything right, etc. etc.. Then I brought in one female mollie that carried ich and killed my whole lot! I was left with the original 2 males.

That's when I decided a sorority was a good idea for the 20 gallon... Then I got my first betta. She was SO tiny. My mom thought it was a bad idea (she thought the whole fish thing was a bad idea!) so I left her for a week. I said if she was still there, I was supposed to get her. And she was.

I never built that sorority, the 20 gal is still empty, as well as that 5. The 2 male mollies finally died a month or two ago. They don't have long life spans, I think it was "old age". (They were maybe 6-8 months old, Google says because of their inbreeding and genetics 6 months is their general life span.)

Now I have my little girl who is mighty happy on her own, Julep my male who is a bubble nesting fiend, and my new yellow HM from Chard56 coming to me next week!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote