Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2011, 12:35 AM   #1 
jman828

Tank Question

Is it ok to use a clear divider on a betta tank or would the two bettas see each other and kill themselves from flaring excessively?
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #2 
regalesse

i do not know abot the clear but i keep ten betta in thrirty gallons with the craft mesh and they are all oky. they don't have the flaring problems.
regalesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:41 AM   #3 
youlovegnats

It's totally fine. They won't suicide by flaring- though they might get stressed. My two boys share a tank and are fine. :)
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #4 
kumi

What tank do you have? The reason that I ask is that there are some tanks sold with dividers where the the dividers don't seem to work very well. The fish can get under them or dislodge them.

A lot of the people here suggest putting plants against a clear divider to break up the line of sight. Less stressful for the bettas.

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:55 AM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

I would keep an eye on them...If it stresses them out it could lower their immune systems...also, they can overflare are rip their fin. I had 2 of my guys do that once. I like to use the craftmesh because it isn't as see-through.
Make sure they have hidey spots so they can get away from the view of the other betta..and make sure there's plants.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:55 AM   #6 
youlovegnats

I have a 5 gallon Bow front type tank. that gives 2.5 gal for each fish. Usually the tanks that have the dividers are 1 gal or less, so stay clear of those. I recommend anything above a 5 gallon for dividing.
You can buy dividers at petsmart/petco (but they're expensive O_O). I made my own from cross-stitching canvas. Here's a link on how to make dividers: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=40025&highlight=make+tank+divider s
Old 08-19-2011, 10:01 AM   #7 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
I have a 5 gallon Bow front type tank. that gives 2.5 gal for each fish. Usually the tanks that have the dividers are 1 gal or less, so stay clear of those. I recommend anything above a 5 gallon for dividing.
You can buy dividers at petsmart/petco (but they're expensive O_O). I made my own from cross-stitching canvas. Here's a link on how to make dividers: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=40025&highlight=make+tank+divider s
ok so if i have a 10 gallon tank with 2 bettas how often do i have to clean it and what do i have to clean?
Old 08-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #8 
youlovegnats

A 10 gal tank (with a filter) would need 20%-25% weekly with gravel vacuuming. Without a filter would need two 25% changes weekly with gravel vac.

Usually the bigger you go, the less water changes you have to do. That's why I like divided tanks over 2.5 gal tanks. :)
Old 08-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #9 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
A 10 gal tank (with a filter) would need 20%-25% weekly with gravel vacuuming. Without a filter would need two 25% changes weekly with gravel vac.

Usually the bigger you go, the less water changes you have to do. That's why I like divided tanks over 2.5 gal tanks. :)
Really..... I heard 25% a month with gravel vacuuming......so how often in necessary. Also what do i do when i clean it, just clean the gravel with vac. and scrub walls. Ive never had a big tank so I dont really know what to do lol
Old 08-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #10 
youlovegnats

Just clean it like any other tank, lol.
You could maybe get away with 75-80% a month, but def. not 25%. IMO, it's easier to do small weekly changes rather than huge monthly changes- but it's up to you.
You don't necessarily need to scrub down the walls...just get a couple of snails and they should get ride of all the algae on the sides of the tank.
Gravel vac. the bottom so that none of that poo sits there for too long.