Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2011, 05:09 AM   #1 
Silver Spar

Poor Howard - no fins left :(

Was at the pet store on monday, and I spotted this little guy in a tank.

He looks like he's seriously been in the wars, and I have no idea what tail type he is, but I loved his colours, so I bought him.

The first pic (With my hastily constructed tank divider) is what he looked like when I got him home and into his new tank (Monday)

The second pic (Showing the gravel in the tank) is what he looks like now (Friday)

His fins seem to be growing back at a much faster rate than I expected - Is this normal?

He seems otherwise healthy, although it is a little funny when he stops in the water - He kinda tips forward because he doesn't seem to have learned to compensate for his lack of fins yet
Attached Images

Silver Spar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:09 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

Poor Guy :(
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:26 AM   #3 
KristinM

Im not sure how people in stores can let fish in bad condition swim around FOR SALE in their tanks! Good on you for helping him out, hope he recovers!!
KristinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:44 AM   #4 
Sakura8

It's hard to see what his tail looked like before but just judging from that growth, yeah, that's fast growth for less than a week. Amazing, whatever you have in your water that's making his tail grow back so fast, I want it. He looks overwhelmed at all the space he has. "Where am I? Is this . . . the big tank in the sky? Or am I lucky enough to have found a good home? Wow . . ."
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #5 
Silver Spar

Thanks guys, I wasn't actually wasn't looking for any males when I went to the shop. I was actually looking for females to start a sorority, but they didn't have any, so I went for a wander round the shop.

I found Howard in a tank, and because of his fin damage, I actually thought he was a she to begin with, but even after I was corrected, I had already decided I wanted him.

I also found a beautiful blue and red male crowntail in a tank with a LOT of Black Moor Goldfish, so I took him too He's called Leonard. Apparently I'm no longer allowed in pet shops unsupervised.

I'm glad his fins are growing back well, but I have no idea why. I didn't think I had done anything that special. He's sharing a divided tank with Leonard.

The Tank's 10g and got a Fluval 2+ filter with the output baffled to h*ll, and because it was uncycled, a wedge of Polyfilter sheet stuck in the middle 'til the bacteria can catch up.

The tap water around here is quite soft, and all I added was some dechlorinator/conditioner stuff (Nutrafin Aqua Plus I think).

Plants are all real, although I have no idea what they are.

Finally, all three of my Bettas get fed a variety of frozen larvae - Daphnia in one lot and a variety in the other - One cube split three ways daily.

My first Betta, Sheldon, got quite a bad rip in his tail from some plastic plants, and that only took two days to heal.
Silver Spar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #6 
Sakura8

You have miracle water, Silver Spar. I want it, I have a guy who bit off all his tail three weeks ago and it's less than halfway there.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #7 
LaLaLeyla

Thats good that his fins are growing back! :D
If they keep growing at this rate his fins will look gorgeous
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #8 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinM View Post
Im not sure how people in stores can let fish in bad condition swim around FOR SALE in their tanks! Good on you for helping him out, hope he recovers!!
Seriously! They should consider it a blessing that people are loving enough to spend the time and money healing a fish that they should have taken care of in the first place.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #9 
fleetfish

Wow, poor little guy!
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #10 
Abby

this sounds bad but u got a lucky dip there for tail type heh heh
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote