Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #1 
fishcurl

Golden Apple Snails - bioload?

I have an opportunity to pick some of these snails up for free, but I'm curious to know what sort of bioload they produce. In other words, are they messy?

Thanks in advance! :)
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #2 
Foisair

I have a snail in my 2 gal with Beast and am finding he makes quite the mess. It could just be more obvious with my substrate though. (marbles like in my avvy.) It doesn't seem to make my ammonia levels rise or anything, it just looks dirty.

I have decided to rehome him to a coworker who loves him to pieces.
Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #3 
LittleBettas

Snails have a high bioload.... I think the min. tank rec. for them is 5 gallon... but I would say 10 gals just to be safe.
For smaller tanks, consider shrimp, either ghost or cherry, they are extremelly entertaining, live 1-3 years, have almost 0 bioload, and help clean the tank up, not to mention ghost shrimp are 33 cents at walmart, lol
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #4 
GreenTea

I have 3 snails in my goldfish tank and they love it! The high filtration keeps the water clean. I tried keeping them with my bettas and decided not to mostly for the snails sake.

Even the most docile of my bettas tried to rip off the antennae and eyes of the snails!
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #5 
fishcurl

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

It's sounding like they're not really for me if they're so messy. They look like they'd be a fun and interesting addition to a tank but not if it means cleaning up after them. I'd rather put my cleaning efforts into another betta tank :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
For smaller tanks, consider shrimp, either ghost or cherry, they are extremelly entertaining, live 1-3 years, have almost 0 bioload, and help clean the tank up, not to mention ghost shrimp are 33 cents at walmart, lol
The ghost shrimp sound really neat - I didn't know they had 0 bioload. What do they eat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
Even the most docile of my bettas tried to rip off the antennae and eyes of the snails!

And there'd be the other reason why snails wouldn't be a good choice for me
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:46 AM   #6 
GreenTea

I have 4 apple snails with 6 platys and a big common goldfish and I love to watch that tank with all the colors! The high filtration helps keep it clean and I do a 25% percent change every week.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:22 AM   #7 
HatsuneMiku

how can you tell when the apple snail dies? .. my bf got one and put it in his 10g planted tank .. and it was fine and moving around for like a few days .. then it went in it's shell and hasn't moved at all since .. it's been like that for 2 weeks
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #8 
dragonflie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress View Post
how can you tell when the apple snail dies? .. my bf got one and put it in his 10g planted tank .. and it was fine and moving around for like a few days .. then it went in it's shell and hasn't moved at all since .. it's been like that for 2 weeks
Sometimes snails will spend a fair amount of time hiding in their shell.

Two major ways to tell if it's still alive. If it's in the shell, the operculum should be tightly closed. Or if it's not, and there's a teeny bit of snail peeking out, touch it lightly; he should react to that and probably pull the operculum closed the rest of the way. When a snail dies the muscle that operates the operculum relaxes so they tend to hang out of the shell a bit.

The other major way to tell is..unpleasant to say the least. Smell it. From what I've been told, dead snails have an unmistakable smell when they die. I couldn't tell ya what it smells like because when I lost my snail the rest of my fish turned him into escargot so there was nothing left. :(
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #9 
HatsuneMiku

oooooh .. maybe his apple snail will do better in my goldfish tank =D

also .. when it's in that hibernation state .. do they still have a bioload ?

and i read somewhere (i forgot where .. might have been wiki) that when they turn brown that's when they are dead?
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:50 PM   #10 
GreenTea

Yeah I had one that died while on vacay and I came back to an apartment smelling like...dead snail. There isn't a word for it. I've seen some bad stuff and I threw up for about 30 mins after cleaning and had to keep all the windows open for a day.

Another way to tell is to put them in a tupperware container (with water obvi) and then give them part of an algae wafer. They'll get up and about for sure! Sometimes when they curl up like that it means they don't have any food. They poop the most when they're eating, I don't know if they produce ammonia when they're in their shell like that but I'd say if they're not eating the answer is basically no.