Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #21 
MikiMaki

I always kept Peterson next to males, they would occasionally play tail wag but they got over it soon, and it kept the boys flaring in a show off-y way for exerciser instead of out of a territory/aggression way which I think is less stressful.
But I also believe that being kept next to boys is why she's 4 times larger then any of my other girls.
MikiMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #22 
flowerslegacy

I say the black dividers are the way to go. There are so many combinations that work or don't work for each of us. If they just can't see each other it rectifies any situation! :)
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #23 
BettaRepublic

The black dividers should work without fail. Let me know if im wrong...
BettaRepublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #24 
Punki

Yeah they do release hormones into the water, the male releases, then when the female get it her eggs can ripen. I wouldnt call it torture, My male and female were divided for a few months, she got eggy once and dropped them/ate them. They were aware of each other and honestly she kept my old male happy, shed play in the filter current and hed just watch and every now and then try to get her attention, and dispite getting rare glimpses of each other for a few months they were interested in each other enough to be bred successfully :) I think as long as they dont have obvious clear view of each other (mesh/plants/space) its fine. I plan to do it again this fall when my temps start dropping so i only have to use one heater for the two. But i guess some may be different.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #25 
flowerslegacy

Great info. Thanks @punki. I thought I had read that somewhere. In your opinion, do you think there could be a chance (over time) that this scenario could eventually lead the female to become "egg bound"? I've only heard of this condition through googling. The female eggs-up and since she doesn't have a male to assist her, they can't be released and she dies from it. I don't have any personal experience, nor have I read any reputable advice from folks I know, just thought I'd ask. I was thinking of opening a thread in the breeding section.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #26 
Punki

Everything ive read about being eggbound puts the girl at low risk. Many female owners say their girls drop eggs monthly even without a male, so i think if shes gonig to become eggbound itll happen eventually regardless =/ But at least the chances are low! :)
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #27 
hmckin20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Not really. My male and female lived in a divided tank for several months and they never showed the slightest interest in breeding. A couple of times he got through, but it was just to beat her up and patrol that side of the tank.

your betta is such a gentleman. xD

i think i didn't shift the two pieces of mesh enough to cover all of the holes. or demi's man crazy. one or the other.xD
bangle and shasta seem to get along fine in the same tank/same divider.
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #28 
flowerslegacy

Thanks again @punki, I appreciate it. I have a couple females and couple of males. I plan on getting more of each. I'm not a breeder (yet), just love the fish. I originally had a male and female in a divided tank and my male wiggled himself crazy. She just taunted him. Those two didn't work together so I just separated them. Then I heard about "eggbound" - yikes. I think that's where I read about horomones being released in the water. Now I have my facts straight. I don't have to panic :) Thanks again.