My poor Puck, my CT, has had fin rot for almost as long as I've had him... Unfortunately I only discovered this about a month ago (new and was naive to Betta care). The only reason this was brought to my attention was because of a hole in his dorsal fin. It has progressively gotten worse despite treatment and I'm very concerned!
What size is your tank? 1.5 bowl (I am trying to get a 3 gallon Kritter Keeper asap)
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Not at the moment, but it has a heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Freeze dried blood worms flakes and pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? flakes and pellets once a day, and bloodworms 2-3 times a week (Bloodworms only bought 2 days ago)
How often do you perform a water change? daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner, 1/2 tsp of API aquarium salts (only 4 days of treatment)
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A
Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The hole in his dorsal fin, caused by more than likely serious fin rot, has not healed and in fact gotten worse. Even though his fins are making rapid improvement, this hole seems to be getting uglier by the day.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not at all; since I moved him to a bigger bowl 2 weeks ago, gave him higher protein food, heated his tank and added a toy this past week he has been so happy!
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Fin rot: 3 weeks ago Hole becoming worse: this morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 100% daily water changes, 1/2 tsp API Aquarium Salt with changes
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for almost 4 months
Four days ago I bought him the Floating Betta Log toy. I did a nylon test on it and it passed. Puck loves it, but since the hole in his fin is there, could it still be snagging since its probably really sensitive?
Pictures below: Some are from the recent past:In order:
1. July 30: when I noticed how bad the hole was. He was in a tiny bowl, which is why he was so down
2. July 31 (I moved him into a bigger bowl, and he was already happier! This was, what I thought would be, the worst of his hole problem)
3. August 4th (His hole decreased incredibly!) Note: On August sixth, I went on a trip out of state I couldn't avoid, and the person who took care of my pets went out a bought Bettafix for him and used it for a whole week on him. They mentioned Bettafix to me but I didn't do any research on it. Now I know he's lucky to be alive!
4. August 13th: after I returned from the trip. His hole looked a little bigger, but I didn't think much of it.
5. Today: it seems that two holes have merged into one and is being held on, literally, by a thread of his fin. Note: between pictures 4 and 5, I bought API Salt, a heater, a thermometer and the floating betta log.
Thank you so much!