Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #1 
kaylarivers75

Open Wound or Infection? Please help!

Hello all!

I got a betta from a local pet shop 6 days ago. He seems to be getting better from fin rot (his front fins look ragged but have clear growth in between. Unless some fins look like that naturally?) and now he seems to have gotten into trouble while I was away.

Well, I say I got. My friend heard I was setting up a tank and surprised me with a male betta and API QuickStart so I could plop him in. I already cycled the tank some (had it running for about a week with gravel from an established tank), and have carefully monitored the ammonia and nitrate. I had planned to slowly accumulate testing supplies and medicine over the month or so it takes to cycle, but that plan kinda went out the window -.-

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5.5
Does it have a filter? 3i whisper
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 77
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No, the filter is bubbly. Betta seems to really like it.
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? None.

Food:
What food brand do you use? No idea. Given to me by someone who's fish was eaten by their cat, and crushed blood worms.
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Crushed bloodworms and pellet
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2 pellets 2x daily, sometimes sub with bloodworms

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Every 2 days, about 10-15%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Dip out.
What additives do you use? Api quick start.

I did do a quick 5% water change with a drop of Jungle Right Start with Aloe Vera when I got back last night (was away for a day, but Sunday is going to be his fast day anyway, and I made sure everything was set and right before hand.)

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia:0
Nitrite: don't know. Haven't gotten the test kit yet.
Nitrate: 0
pH:7.6
Hardness (GH):Na
Alkalinity (KH):Na

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? When I got back, at 11:30 ish Sunday, October 25.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? A spot on his gill or beard.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Not at all, but he's a new betta, so I don't know his behavior very well.
Is your Betta still eating? Nope. Just as hungry as before.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Not yet.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? I don't know. It looks like he may have had fin rot, but I'm not sure.
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? 6 days. He came from a local pet shop. They had him in one of the little tanks that hang on the side of a bigger tank.

He's my first betta, and I've been doing a lot of research on Bettas for the last few weeks. He seems to be looking better, but I'd like to help if I can. Any advice is welcome!

It's only letting me upload one pic, so here is one of the spot. It's by his gill, if you can see it. This is this morning. Before, it looked like there was fuzzy stuff on it and a scale was half-attached and half floating.
Attached Images

kaylarivers75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:43 PM   #2 
Mousie

Does the fuzzy spot look similar to the cottony fuzz inside of a teddy bear, or does it look more slimy? It's really important to distinguish between the two looks. Is there a wound under the fuzz?

Are you using a dechlorinator to remove chlorine/chloramines from the tapwater?
Mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:56 PM   #3 
kaylarivers75

I'm using bottled water with a drop of API quick start for the water changes. The tap here has such a high PH that I'm worried I'd have to add too much PH Down to it.

It did look cottony before, but now it just looks like a wound. There may be a hard shell thing over it, like a scab. it doesn't really look slimy or cottony now.
kaylarivers75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:07 PM   #4 
Mousie

You may wish to stop using bottled water. It is missing the necessary minerals needed for fish. Use tap water and a dechlorinator such as Seachem Prime.

API Quick Start is only a supplement. Don't wast your money on it. If you want to do a safe fish-in cycle then wait till your fish is healthy and use my HowTo here. Tetra Safe Start is specifically designed to facilitate a safe fish-in cycle.

In the meantime, get some Seachem ParaGuard. Every 24 hours do a 45% water change and then dose ParaGuard at 1 cap-full per 10 gallons of water. Do this daily until the wound is gone. Remember to remove the chemical filtration from your filter while using medication in your tank.
Mousie is offline   Reply With Quote