Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2014, 01:30 AM   #1 
lainaxoberst

Exclamation Strange white spot?

Something is up with my divided ten gallon. Tonight my lovely rosetail dumbo died suddenly of unknown causes. The only clue was that his belly looked a little bloated, although everyone has been fed normally.
After removing Ollie from the tank, I noticed that his neighbor, Bowie, also is looking a bit chubby. Nowhere near as bloated as Ollie was though.

What I'm more concerned about is this white spot I noticed on his face. It was not there yesterday, and it doesn't look normal to me. Any idea what it might be??

Please help me out you guys, I already lost one of my babies tonight :(
Attached Images

lainaxoberst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:19 AM   #2 
logisticsguy

Not 100% sure but the white spot could be Flexibacter Columnaris. Very common and it is treatable. Do a google search on it and see if it adds up. This link has some good detailed information and will be able to tell if it is Columnaris or Saprolegnia (fungus). The treatment prescribed by the author is excellent.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/columnaris.html
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:46 AM   #3 
Taeanna
Reference Team

What were they fed before the illness? anything frozen or alive? was anything new added to their tank?
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:59 PM   #4 
lainaxoberst

They have not been fed anything different than their usual pellets, which is why I'm so confused.

I'm pretty sure that what Bowie has is what was talked about in the article, although I don't understand what could have caused it.
lainaxoberst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:14 PM   #5 
Taeanna
Reference Team

columnaris is what is known as an opportunistic infection- it was just one of the regular bacteria in the tank doing its thing, even keeping your fish healthy. Then all of a sudden one day the fish's immune system is a little weak or a rival bacteria dies and bag! it has space, food and a new place to get into and starts to breed and expand.

Often it is on the fish since the moment you get it home and is waiting for its chance
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:51 PM   #6 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeanna View Post
Often it is on the fish since the moment you get it home and is waiting for its chance
True. This is exactly why I qt all incoming fish and give them fish baths in Methlene Blue and Paraguard before they go anywhere near the rest of the gang. There is some really nasty stuff out there thanks to resistant strains and some of them could care less that you have warm clean water or not. jmho.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sick betta, white spot