Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #1 
yotobeats

Fungus ??

Hello everyone,
i got a betta who is just under 3 yrs old. he had this strange thing appeared on his ventral fin 3 weeks ago. (Pls see my profile pic to understand what im talking about). Went to the pet store, the gave me primafix. Used on him for 2 weeks (2 treatment) each lasted for a week. NO Improvement.

Took another photo (see my profile), they said maybe try Methylene Blue treatment Checked online sounded to be a good stuff. its one of those dosage where you treat for 3 days. it said 5 drops / litre. little fishy's tank is 4.5 ltr. It was my first time & i was shocked to see how blue it was. So instead of giving him some 22drops, i only put 15 to see how he goes. he was fine, breathing hard.but otherwise fine. Still eating properly after 3days on it. but no difference to the growth.

2nd round,changed the water. did the proper dosage etc. 21 drops this time.he was ok the 1st day, second day he started swimming funny, lost appetite to eat, then 3rd day, he's sick on the bottom lying down sideways except for his head.hard to swim up 2 breath. So i quickly changed his water again, no treatment this time, just wan2 get back to where he was etc. day 5 still no improvement, hasnt ate any for 3days now. i made the tank shallow so he doesnt have to swim up hard to breath. I dont know wat to do now....anyone has a clue whats happening to him? PLEASE HELP. the last pic of his tail was taken few hours ago.
yotobeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi yotobeats and welcome to the forum.

In 4.5 liter tank, water changes are definitely important. 100% changes every other day would be best to keep the ammonia down.

I've looked at your photos and it looks almost like your betta has a cyst or large bump near his tail? Google "lymphocistis" and let me know if this sounds like what your guy has.

Also, when you used the Pima Fix, did you change the water at all during that time? While I think the lump your guy has is possibly lymphocistis, I think his other symptoms may be due to ammonia poisoning. While he is being treated, be sure to change the water every day. When he is better, you can start changing the water every other day.

Does your betta have a heater? What is the temperature in his tank? Bettas need to be in waters that are at least 78-80 degrees farenheit. They can be at 76 but it's a little cold. If it's warm where you are and his water is that temp, then you can hold off on a heater.

Anyway, I hope he feels better soon. Keep us posted.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:49 AM   #3 
yotobeats

thanks sakura8,
I think it may be lymphocistis too. The Symptoms seems to be curing at a very small rate. But he is out of treatment for at least a couple of days before i decide what to do. since i started to stop treatment he seems to feel better, he had a small feed. i think thats a good start. The shallow water is definitely helping him.I did see some bubbles this afternoon when i got back from work..thats an improvement. Still lying slightly on the side..but i see its improving. On the worrying side, his scales seems bit raised, but not as bad as a dropsy would be ...Or mayb im just so worried, im just seeing things. Should i be doing some other treatement???

While i treated prima fix, it recommended initial water change, then i added .5ml (premixed with water from his tank) to his every day for 7 days as per instruction. After 7days 25% water change it said..I followed. continued another 7 days. no changed or improvement. thats when i went for methylene blue. Ofcourse water was changed for new treatment.

I got heater which sits at constant 79. I bought him last winter when i actually was shocked to see the temp at 60 one cold night. He was 2yr old back then but healthy & very active. I do 25% water every week, where some evaporates. but never had any issues or diseases for the last 3 yrs i had him.I do so coz he used to get very stressed with 100% water change, doesnt eat for 1st 2days & always try to jump out. 25% he seemed happy with 100% every 3-4 week to clean all his poo settlement. I also have live plant in there. I dont have any kit to measure ammonia, nitrite or nitrates, but i do maintain a PH 6.8 - 7.

My friend wave me some brine shrimps yesterday, i have never fed him anything other then betta pallets, mayb i should change his diet occasionally.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Yes, definitely shake up his diet. Variety is good and I bet he'll love the brine shrimps. Also try frozen bloodworms, those are a big favorite of bettas too.

I'm glad he's feeling better without the treatment. If it's lymphocistis, it's a viral disease and there is no treatment for it. All you can do is keep the water as clean as possible, feed a healthy diet, and wait. Usually, lymphocistis clears up on its own within a month or two. I'm a bit concerned about your guy's age and how that might affect his ability to fight off his virus, though. 3 yrs is old for a betta. Is there any way you can do 25% changes a day for the next week or two to see if that improves his symptoms? I understand that 100% makes him stressed and we don't want that but the cleaner the water, the better because it means his lymphocistis can't get infected which would be bad.

Let me know how it goes.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:58 AM   #5 
yotobeats

Thanks for replying again.
I have been doing daily 25 % water change now. The growth on tail looks about 40% smaller then it used to be. Slow curing. I tryed to feed him brian shrimp, but it sinks very fast, and its like a tablet which i have to break and it just dissolves away. So i thought maybe i should leave it for a while.

One the other hand, Fishy is making bubbles (im happy to see),I have put his tank near my dressing mirror. He doesnt flare, but he spends most of the time near mirror making bubbles on the mirror side. maybe he thinks there is a lady on the other side or just happy seeing another fish.

He is eating, but not normal just yet. he would only eat only one pallet at any one time. so I feed him once in the morning & once at evening. so 2 pallets a day. I hope that is atleast good rather then nothing. he does move around a tiny bit now. water still shallow (about 2 ltrs in there now).

Do you think i should add Prima Fix at all or just leave him to cure by itself? I dont want to stress him with things thats is not needed to be there.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #6 
Sakura8

I'm glad you're able to do the 25% water change daily. Lymphocystis takes a long time to cure, sometimes several months, but as long as the water stays clean and he doesn't get an infection you have a 99% of total recovery.

If all he wants to eat are 2 pellets a day then that's fine. Keep trying more pellets every now and then to see if his appetite is coming back. You're right, a little bit of food is better than nothing. And don't worry about the brine shrimp. :) Maybe he'll eat it when he feels a little better.

Since lymphocystis is a viral infection, there's nothing you can treat it with so you might as well leave the Prima Fix out. Only time and the fish himself can get rid of lymphocystis.

I'm glad the lump is getting smaller, that's good news. :) Keep us posted on how he's doing and best of luck.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #7 
yotobeats

Hello Sakura8,
its been another 20 days. The thing on his tail is still there. Infact, I seems like its growing, then it seems like its getting ok.. But still there. Wel i took hime to the Vet. who told me to use methylene blue, I showed him wat i use, Along with the primafix. He didnt know what sort of problem my betta had. But he gave me Anti-biotics powder. Usable for 2 ltrs, so i use about 200ml in a cup, put him in there for a 1hr bath. nearly 5 days on now. still no change. I also got him on primafix. It doesnt do any good for him, but doesnt seem to bother him anyway.

Aside from the problem,he breaths fine, he eats fine, but i only feed him 3-4 pallets a day as he doesnt swim around much to exercise it. but he would

His tank is still shallow. He seems to be liking it that way now. he sits on the top of heater or the plant with his mouth just under water & every time he wants to breath he just tilts his head & all done. rather then a painfull swim to the top.

I put him near a mirror for a few days now. he likes to look at himself (doesnt flare anymore) but i hope one day he will get cranky start flaring.

I change his water 25% everyday, full change every 4 days, temp 80 & ph 6.8 - 7.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Hi yotobeats, thank you for the update. Lymphocystis can take several months to go away and the maddening thing about it is there really isn't much you can do because it's viral. I'm glad you were able to find a veterinarian who sees fish, that's good. I haven't been able to find one in my area yet. You are doing all the best things for your guy by changing his water every day and cutting back on his food so he doesn't get bloated. I hope the lymphocystis heals up soon but in the meantime, keep up the good work and don't give up hope. Feel free to PM me or post here if you have any questions or concerns.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:48 AM   #9 
yotobeats

Hello Shakura8,
I woke up yesterday to find my little betta all swelled up, his scales raised really bad. I was shocked to see how swelled he was. The previous day when i fed him, he missed his food & trying to get the food, but he couldnt eat it. So i was thinking, i should go to the pet store & mayb treat him with aquarium salt. Coz i dont know of the cause why he was swelled.

The lady at the shop said the tumour seems quite large, and most likely it is disturbing his digestive system. She also recommended Salt & stess coat. Got it, Came home, My fishy was sitting there. Closer inspection, his gills were moving so slowly. and he was breathing very slow. he would be in the ground, Next minute he would jump to gaspe some air & sink. I though to myself, Hmm, thats very sad. So i took him out of there. got him to the anti biotic bath for an hr. Got the water changed woth stress coat & pinch of salt. After nearly 2 hrs i put him back in there. I put him on top of the heater so he wont have to move much to gasp air, but his eyes was just looking down, no much reaction when you touch him, his mouth movin very slowly. I prayed for him to cure, and wished he would make it through.
I did occational check on him if he was ok while i was sleeping. I think last i checked at about 4am.

I woke up late for work. Fishy was sitting there, not where i left him, but lower. must have moved at night. After i shower, i thought i will try my luck feeding him. Closer inspection, his gills or mouth werent moving. I touched, slowly pat him, he felt to his sides..MY POOR FISHY HAS PASSED AWAY....I was in tears..late to work. but i put him back on top of the heater, with his mouth just outside water, just hoping that, maybe he didnt pass away..Lunch time, No movement, After work - no movement.

Well, i got him in a plastic bag, closer inspection you can see lots of water inside his stomach resulting to bloat. scales risen & eyes looking down. I didnt want to bury him like i did with my previous betta who passed away in 9/9/2009. Instead i put him in the freezer to preserve him & wrote all i know about him in a envelope and put his body bag in there. He's in the freezer now. Will rest in peace there till one day i get someone to find out how exactly this tumour has come & what affected my poor fishy.

He was a very happy & Active betta i have seen with his unique character. i just hope & pray for his happy life in his betta heaven and hope I didnt do anything wrong that might have contributed to his illness & death. AFter all Life is very precious... REST IN PEACE BUDDY... GOD BLESS HIM...:(
Old 09-23-2011, 08:25 AM   #10 
Myates

I'm so very sorry about your guy =(
Scales risen, eyes swollen and swollen body sounds like Dropsy, and if the lady at the pet store gave you aquarium salt for dropsy.. that isn't good. AQ salt makes it worse (*grumble* why I don't listen to pet store employees).

Again, I am very sorry you lost him. You tried and went above and beyond to help him out. You gave him the best you could do and that matters.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote