Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #1 
Unagi

Question oh dear, please help!!

ive hot a problem :c my female betta- she is full of eggs, healthy, but wont show bars when i introduced her to Ink, my male. Shes a dark blue/turquoise crowntail, please help!
Unagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

We need some more information.....what method are you using, how is the spawning tank setup, water temp, how long and how did you condition them for spawning, how old are the breeding pair and is this their first time to spawn.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #3 
Unagi

No problem :) i conditioning for a good three weeks, with pellets, blood worms and BBS in separate tanks with plenty of natural plants and almond leaf extract. Male made nests often, she seemed relaxed and full of eggs. I'm using the casual- hobbyist method. I have a 10g tank, split with the female having a small section divided by a divider and the male having the run of the rest. The water temperature is 78* to 79* all day and light only during the day hours. Lots of plants (natural) and a few terra cotta pots and foam cup in the corner for a nest. This is their first time, the female used to live in a community tank. And they're..hmm i'd say 7-8 months old? its a close estimation. Currently he has a small bubblenest...but he isint making much progress. Thank you!!
Old 08-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

If you have plenty of plants in the tank-I would release her or remove the divider...let the plants be the natural divider so you don't have premature eggs drops....although, a nest, breeding bars are good indicator of readiness.....watch body language and swimming pattern....some males don't make nest until they have eggs in their mouth-while other cover the entire tank.....the female will have unripe eggs all the time.....when the fish are in the same water you have hormone and pheromone triggers....the male hormone triggers the eggs to ripen and then the female pheromone from ripe eggs trigger the male...this stimulate reproductive instinct....

As long as you have plenty of places to the female to get away from the male to rest.....all should be fine and once the female is ready she will approach/follow the male in a head down position as he is leading her to the nest swimming in the "S" pattern slapping her with his tail...don't be alarmed if you see this and then the male suddenly attack her...sometimes this will go on for awhile and sometimes not.....pre-spawning behavior can vary a lot....even with the same pair from spawn to spawn.......some may play tag for several hours to days while other spawn the second they meet......a healthy Betta of breeding age that has been properly conditioned can tolerate the stress and injuries that often go hand in hand with this species spawning behaviors.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #5 
Unagi

Alright ill try that, its afternoon now, perfect timing :) wow OFL thank you so much. My respect goes out to you for all your help!
Old 08-20-2011, 07:25 PM   #6 
Unagi

Well i let her free and so far its alright, he flares, she backs away but if he gets too close for comfort she'll flare back. Its fairly calm :D