Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #1 
Betta Newbie22

Getting Bettas to eat pellets

I have been feeding my bettas freeze dried blood worms ever since i got them. I tried the pellets first because i had been told that blood worms as a daily meal can cause bloating and other problems but my bettas wouldn't touch them. My question is is there any way to try to get my bettas to start eating pellets as a regular meal or should I stick to the blood worms? I want them to be as healthy as possible Please Help!
Betta Newbie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

You can try soaking them in garlic juice to see if that makes them more appealing.

IMO the cold turkey method is really the only way to go. They get nothing but pellets. If they don't eat the pellets they just don't eat, eventually they'll pick it up that pellet=food.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #3 
Indyfishy

You can try soaking the pellets in garlic juice (either fresh or from a jar of minced garlic), bettas think garlic is tasty! Or you can try a flake food, I've had bettas that think the flake food is even tastier than their bloodworms. I use Omega One Betta Buffet flakes. They're made with salmon so they smell really strong for the fishies haha =)
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #4 
Betta Newbie22

Ahh Okay I tried soaking them in just water but that didnt work.. Then someone told me to try Crushing the Pellets into smaller pieces Havent tried that yet. but i never thought of soaking them in Garlic Juice. Honestly I felt Kinda weird asking but after reading all the info on here I figured i would try it.. Honestly I didnt know there was so much about Bettas that i didnt know and its nice to know theres people here that care about there bettas as much as i do. Thanks for answering all my weird questions.
Betta Newbie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #5 
undertakerno1

I have this problem. I have a blue female betta. Her name is Buffy. She is not eating. See what she is doing is going to the pellet and gettin it in her mouth but she is getting it a little ways in her mouth but then she spits it out I do not know what to do I need help.
undertakerno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #6 
undertakerno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfishy View Post
You can try soaking the pellets in garlic juice (either fresh or from a jar of minced garlic), bettas think garlic is tasty! Or you can try a flake food, I've had bettas that think the flake food is even tastier than their bloodworms. I use Omega One Betta Buffet flakes. They're made with salmon so they smell really strong for the fishies haha =)
I need help. I have a blue betta fish and she is not eating.her name is Buffy. see what she is doing is she is going to the pellet and getting it in her mouth a little ways and then she is spitting it out. It is like she can't get it all the way out of her mouth. Is ther anything I can do until Friday. I will not get to go shopping until then. I need help.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #7 
Pataflafla

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertakerno1 View Post
I have this problem. I have a blue female betta. Her name is Buffy. She is not eating. See what she is doing is going to the pellet and gettin it in her mouth but she is getting it a little ways in her mouth but then she spits it out I do not know what to do I need help.
You can try soaking the pellets in a little bit of tank water for a few minutes to make them softer or you could crush them up a little bit to make them smaller.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #8 
Leeniex

Crushing works like a charm for me.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #9 
undertakerno1

Here is what I have tried

I have crushed them up an it is working wonderful for me. My blue betta is eating them. See they were too big and she could not eat it. She could not get the whole thing into her mouth but when I crushed it up she is able to still eat untill I am able to go to the stor and get her some flakes. At least I am not going to lose her. so right now she is doing fine. I have not tried the other stuff because the crushing up seems to be working out fine so I would suggest that you might try it. I am not telling you to do it, but to just try it. Your Betta will still be eating. Mine is,and it will save you some money on betta food. I like that Idea.

Last edited by undertakerno1; 08-25-2011 at 09:04 AM. Reason: it did not go where I wantit to go
Old 08-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #10 
undertakerno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Newbie22 View Post
Ahh Okay I tried soaking them in just water but that didnt work.. Then someone told me to try Crushing the Pellets into smaller pieces Havent tried that yet. but i never thought of soaking them in Garlic Juice. Honestly I felt Kinda weird asking but after reading all the info on here I figured i would try it.. Honestly I didnt know there was so much about Bettas that i didnt know and its nice to know theres people here that care about there bettas as much as i do. Thanks for answering all my weird questions.
I have tried Crushing them up. See I have a Betta Fish and her name Is Buffy, and she was having trouble eating. she could get the pellet in her mouth but she could not get it all the way in her mouth she would have to spit it out so I tried the crushing and it is working she is now eating. This will help me untill I go to the store this Friday to get her some tropical fish flaks. If you really don't have that much money or really don't have time to go to the store then you can crush them up to save money or until you get to go to the store. But she is able to eat since I have been crushing them so she is doing fine