Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2011, 08:38 PM   #1 
Arashi Takamine

I've never seen him do his before!

Okay so I admit I haven't been a good betta mom lately. I've missed feedings and waterchanges and my poor boys were in big trouble. Luckily my mom did a 100 percent and 80% change on their tanks...

Everything was fine, water params and everything after including acclimating them to a new water we got (RO water but from the store...)

Well just a short while ago I look in on the boys they're fine, perfectly fine, Akira wiggles for me fans out his tail showing me his new rays growing in...
And a triangle shaped bite out of his tail.

My mom said this and I quote: "Before the change he was acting really weird, swimming up and sinking like he was struggling to get air. I checked the water and the alkeline and ammonia was high. I did the change quickly but we gotta keep an eye on that from now on."

It's entirely our fault we just got so busy in the last week but it's no excuse. Akira and Kai are both fine besides this incident...

I've just never seen him tailbite like that....He usually rips off his rays but his rays were untouched besides a small nub.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #2 
Treena

Betta males tend to bite on their tails when they are left alone for awhile. Stressful situations, like being close to another male that they can't get to, gets them chewing on it in frustration as well.

I'd look it up if I were you, tons of things cause tailbiting, bright lights make them feel exposed, and they bite their tails because of that to.
Treena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

Maybe he's getting a little bolder in his tail biting? I know Ratchet was completely bold with his, but maybe your guy was in the trial stage still or he got just a little too stressed with the raised ammonia?

I'm sure you already know the treatment for it.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #4 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
Maybe he's getting a little bolder in his tail biting? I know Ratchet was completely bold with his, but maybe your guy was in the trial stage still or he got just a little too stressed with the raised ammonia?

I'm sure you already know the treatment for it.
I think it was the stress of the ammonia. He never bit his tail in that sort of way before and he was fine when he was put back in the tank.

Yeah his tank still has remnants of when I treated him with AQ salt (we went on our trip the next day and I'd rather him be stuck in brackish water then my dad killing him with trying to continue his treatment) so I think he'll be fine. I'll keep an eye on him.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:49 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

That was probably a good call. I can't trust my parents to follow any treatments or water changes if I were to leave for a few days (Frog is still in the 1/4 gal hospital tank and needs 100% every day). They get confused/upset whenever my sister and I do weekly changes on the 10 gals so we try to do it when they're sleeping.

Hopefully he won't tail bite any more. It's definitely frustrating.

Also, your town is amazing. Just so you know. C:

Last edited by Pataflafla; 08-20-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:06 AM   #6 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
That was probably a good call. I can't trust my parents to follow any treatments or water changes if I were to leave for a few days (Frog is still in the 1/4 gal hospital tank and needs 100% every day). They get confused/upset whenever my sister and I do weekly changes on the 10 gals so we try to do it when they're sleeping.

Hopefully he won't tail bite any more. It's definitely frustrating.

Also, your town is amazing. Just so you know. C:
Yeah, all I told him to do was feed them once a day and to not do anything but check on them.

Yeah I hope so too. His tail is starting to look so good again too. He left his two rays he let grow out stay put and he's got more coming in...Hopefully he'll stop.

XD Thanks!