Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2011, 12:02 AM   #1 
dsgems

How to do a salt treatment???

I have been searching the forums, for a step by step instruction on how to do a salt treatment and water changes. My betta has clamped fins, no appetite for two days. he looks so sick and unhappy. I tested his water it is all good. His water temp is 78. He ate the Hydra in his tank and the next day he was all clamped up and hiding. I understand Aq salt is kind of a cure all. Please help if you can.
dsgems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:09 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

Aq salt is for external problems like fin rot.

If your boy is bloated, try fasting him for a day or two, and if he's still bloated, use EPSOM salt.

Dosing and water change requirements are the same for both salts. AQ should only be used for a max of 10 days while epsom salt, if need be, can be used long term.

1 tsp/gal premixed is for general issues. 2 tsp and 3 tsp are used for more serious issues. Water changes are dependent on size of tank you're using.

AQ salt isn't safe to use with live plants and is easier to treat in qt where you can do 100% water changes daily.

Epsom salt is ok to use with live plants so long as you don't over dose on each specific plant's tolerable range. It's also easier to treat with in qt with 100% water changes every day. If long term use is needed, you can treat your tank with the correct premixed amount and just do more frequent, regular water changes.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:55 AM   #3 
dsgems

Thank you Pataflafla, I just did a 75% water change. My tank appeared to be cycled, So I didn't do water changes more than twice a week, and then only 20-25%. Tell me when you do a salt treatment do you do a 100% water change daily? I have so much to learn. Thanks for having patience with me
Old 08-21-2011, 01:06 AM   #4 
Pataflafla

If I do salt treatments I quarantine the betta and then do 100% daily changes. I've got a small hospital tank for such purposes.

If it's fin regrowth, however, I just up the water changes per week or do 75% every other day and replace the salt I took out. It's easiest to do on smaller tank since it's not as much water to take out or replace. I keep the betta in their regular tank for fin regrowth since I've only had to do it for a tail biter that gets stressed easily and is overly aggressive so he can't be floated with others.

Before you jump to salts however, just give him some time in really clean water. That usually helps boost their immune systems and keeps infections at bay. Change maybe 40%- 50% of the water every other day for now while the filter is going just to make sure the water quality is very good and hopefully he'll perk right up.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:36 AM   #5 
dsgems

Thank you Thank you!! I feel hopeful now. Mabe I can even sleep tonight! I so appreciate your getting back to me tonight!:)