Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #1 
ForbiddenSecrets

Mising Ventrals? :/

So I was watching my baby fish swim around for awhile after a water change and I was considering his/her gender. I had an "Aha!" moment remembering that young males tended to have longer ventrals then the females. So when I looked I was surprised to find... my fish doesn't have them at all.

I stared and stared but it didn't matter how he moved or swam there is no sign of them at all. Not even super stubby ones.

Is it possible they just haven't grown yet? Or will he forever be a fin missing fishie.

Last edited by ForbiddenSecrets; 08-21-2011 at 01:04 PM.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #2 
freeflow246

Huh. That's weird. Maybe they do grow in later? If they never grow in it shouldn't handicap your fish too much though. As far as I can tell, they just help the fish keep its balance.
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #3 
caitic10

How old is it? Depending on its age, they may not of grown in yet.
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #4 
ForbiddenSecrets

It's a few days shy of four months old
Old 08-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #5 
Kytkattin

I just noticed my new boy doesn't have any either. Just little nubs. And he should be 6-8 months old! Mine was a petstore buy though.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Missing ventral is not that uncommon in home spawned Betta-usual causes-water quality......it has been associated with microworms....not the worms themselves so much as the bacteria that they create when uneaten MW are left in the tank to rot more so in bare bottom tanks...this can also happen with other foods as well-especially in bare bottom tanks....the bacteria produced by rotting worms during the ventral fin growth/development stage....and why it is so important to remove uneaten food before it start to rot....having substrate, live plants or other items to help keep the fry off the bottom/floor of the tank can help and so can snail that will eat the left over foods....but-the best way to prevent missing ventral fins in your fry....water changes, removal of uneaten food, not overfeeding.....

This is not to discourage feeding MW or using bare bottom tanks-its safe to feed microworm and a good food for fry-they are not the direct cause-its the bacteria they produce when left to rot....

A Betta without ventral fins can function and live a normal happy life without the ventral fins and since it has not been linked to genetic-they can also be spawned....but can't been shown since its a major fault.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #7 
Abby

the fish i bought from sydney out of the 9 i bought only two had them they were the first spawn and most were bottom dwellers (i knew this before purchase)
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #8 
ForbiddenSecrets

Ah that's unfortunate to hear. At least he/she won't be hampered for day to day life at least. That makes me feel better to know