Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #1 
Alexanderismylife

Is it safe??

My betta fish Alexander and Riley both died of the same disease (I stupidly cannot even remember the name but I know it was a Vyril disease.) And it spreads easily. Now I plan on bleaching out the tank but I don't know if that would make it unusable for fish? But I don't know if just boiling everything would kill the disease. (As I did that when Alexander died before I placed Riley in the tank) So would bleach be allright to use for a cleaner? Or should I just toss the tank?
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #2 
cgchad

In my opinion. What your thinking of doing is probably the safest route, as long as your treating the water when you re-establish the tank, with a dechlorinator.

Basically with bleach your just giving it a cleaning with extra harsh tap water. Bleach gains its effectiveness through chlorine. Just like is found in tap water. The only real difference is the concentration.

I would avoid any types of bleach that have scents or perfumes though, and rinse it thoroughly with very hot water.

I would also use a double shot of tap water conditioner prior to adding any new fish, and let it sit for a couple of days or possibly a week.

I am no expert, so just like anything anyone tells you on here, form your own opinion.

Just sharing mine.
cgchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #3 
Alexanderismylife

Well thanks for the reply! I think that is what I will do. :)
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:22 AM   #4 
HatsuneMiku

i would not use bleach .. just because i'd be too worried about there being any residual bleach left .. and it's suppose to be diluted bleach solution that can be safe (don't use the bleach straight from the bottle it's too concentrate) .. and i don't know how much bleach to water ratio your suppose to use as cleaner for it to be safe .. but it was posted somewhere on the site .. i just don't remember where ..

but what i do with my hospital tank after my sick fish have been in there is .. use white vinegar and wash the whole tank with the vinegar (use gloves and do it outside cus vinegar smells up the whole house) then i rinse it out with a hose with a very strong currant for like 10 minutes to get all the vinegar off it ..

then i use the power of UV sunlight .. and leave it outside for at least an hr .. should kill most nasties

Last edited by HatsuneMiku; 08-22-2011 at 02:26 AM.
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:26 AM   #5 
NCPanthersgurl

I agree with mistress; I'd be too concerned about any harsh chemicals being left behind. I use white vinegar {make sure there's nothing special to it, I believe the kind I use is Heinz, and it wasn't an expensive bottle} and hot water.
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote