Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #1 
Unagi

My first spawn! (hopefully)

Hi all! I'm a bit new to the site but I've been lurking around, doing homework, making sure I'm prepared for the adventure I'm about to embark on, and I'm ready! I'm doing this mainly as a genetics study, and because i love these crazy little fish.
I currently have a sorority of 7 females, and i have four males.
So i chose a female, this plump, already eggy crowntail girly. She's a rich navy color with a red wash on her lower fins. And then my dark blue butterfly half moon male, Ink'd. He has had a bit of fin damage from a move i had, he got stressed :c .

So currently they are in seperate tanks, with heaters (since my house is freezing always) and im feeding them pellets and frozen bloodworms three-four times a day, its so far been only a day. They seem happy thus far.
My spawn tank is a 10g with a divider, a small section for the female and a large for the male. I have in there 7 live plants (a few anubis and some ferns and so on.) terra cotta pots, and a plastic plant or two. Also a heater and a styrofoam cup for the bubble nest. I hope im doing everything right!

I'll post pictures later. But tomorrow im going to the pet store- what should i pick up? im on a bit of a budget but let me know!!

Last edited by Unagi; 08-18-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Unagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....

Good luck and look forward to following your spawn log and genetic study.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #3 
Unagi

thank you! :) support means a lot, im worried on the outcome of this spawn, or if it will even happen. I have read very many posts on fail spawns.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:04 AM   #4 
Eziekel

i'd get some anti-fungus solution to prevent fungus on the eggs. and then make sure you have baby brine shrimp eggs to feed your fry.
Eziekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #5 
Unagi

Oh! i have anti-fungus fizz tablets all the time in my room, and is it better to buy eggs? or the live critters? The pet shop i go to frequently (Aquarium Depot) has lots of BBS in little cups you can buy for $.79 they culture them there
Old 08-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #6 
Unagi

Okay so i got a water conditioner with almond leaf extract, and put a capfull in. And after a few hours let the male into the tank. Its 79* currently in the tank, and im letting him have time to make a nest. I also fed him earlier a lot of bloodworms (accidentally) and fed the female as well, shes still chilling in her tank alone, though they caught a glimpse of one another on accident, i hope that does not effect their spawn
Old 08-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #7 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Not sure if you have read bettysplendens.com but that site has all the info you need to spawn successfully.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #8 
Unagi

Oh yes! ive gone to that site often for help and advice. :) im just asking because a lot of people here have had successful spawns and im very open to advice
Old 08-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #9 
Unagi

So its now...7:26 pm, and its been a few hours since i let him into the tank. So far he's having more fun popping water bubbled on the side of the tank. I'll see how he is tomorrow and ill attempt to obtain photos. Should i want for him to build a net or release her now?
Old 08-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #10 
Unagi

Pictures finally

Alrighty first its my breeding tank set up, tons of plants and such, and my sponge filter is due any day now, then its two pictures of Ink, my make, the females camera shy :c
Attached Images