Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2011, 10:34 PM   #1 
Comet1993

Question Just Out of Curiosity...

I was watching videos on YouTube with different bettas flaring and swimming and beautiful ones on Aquabid... Then, I clicked a video that showed someone putting their hand in the tank..and literally petting their goldfish! I saw a few other similar videos where the fish parent would pet or hold their goldfish (underwater, of course)... One even showed someone petting a betta. I looked at the comments for the videos, and found a mixture of opinions. Some talked about how cute it was (I have to agree; it was kind of adorable..); some mentioned how dangerous it was for the fish (i.e., how it could damage the slime coat); some said that it wouldn't harm the fish at all (for various reasons that they tried to validate); some even said that the fish really enjoyed it. I've never petted or held Turbo underwater. I'd be afraid to hurt him. =[ Do any of you do this "contact" with your fish? Is it harmful for the fish? I'm just really curious about this now..
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:02 PM   #2 
Dozzem

That sounds like FUN :D I would'nt tho
Dozzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:38 PM   #3 
tsoto80

It may be cute, yes, but I would say it COULD be dangerous if the person had something on their hand that is toxic to the fish (soap, lotion, human waste, bleach, so on). Now there has been times when I was doing a water change or rearranging decorations and they bit my arm. For me that is safe human contact and all I need! :)
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:22 AM   #4 
hmckin20

i'd say it could be potentially dangerous. limited contact is probably best... i don't know about straight up petting. that said, my bettas peck at my fingers all the time. one time flair's little back brushed against my finger when i was feeding him.

i've been washing my hands obsessively since they started doing this xD
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #5 
obiwansolo18

I personally wouldn't do it with any of my girls. I love my fish, but i don't think they are for petting.
obiwansolo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #6 
Vizja13

My goldfish used to come up to my hand and lay on it before I lost him <3 loved that littel fish, I cried for days...anyway! I personally don't hold or pet my bettas, the only thing I ever do is occsionally scoop them up with my hand when they continually outmanuever the net...and thats just a quick scoop into a cup for water changes XP
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #7 
cuttlefish120

no i don't think that its a good idea. first of all it would put the fish under alot of stress and second that you are very likely to damage the slime coating of the fish.
cuttlefish120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #8 
harrypotter

When I first got my betta and was not very experienced, I brushed my finger at him (although looking back it was more of a gentle poke than pet) but I've never done it again and have come to the conclusion that it's probably just not the best idea. If you want a pet to cuddle, a fish probably isn't the right fit for you.
harrypotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #9 
Comet1993

That's what I was thinking; humans can have so many germs on their hands that can harm the little fish. =[ It looked really cute, and it may be fun, but at what price for the fish?
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

I dunno... the most popular way of bagging fish is to grab them and put them in the bag. Most hobbyists agree the safest way of moving a fish is by hand rather than by net (which can also remove the slime coat).

As long as you aren't doing it all the time it shouldn't be an issue. The important thing is to wet your hands before touching the fish.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote