Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2011, 05:28 AM   #11 
HatsuneMiku

@_@ the lady at the store didn't say what was considered too hard either .. she didn't tell me what the readings were .. she just said everything else is ok except the hardness was too high

my bettas aren't doing anything weird or looking bad or anything .. they are their normal happie self .. except yuki is probably too hot in his tank and keeps laying sideways on his hammock and freaking me out cus i think he's dead .. but he seems to always do that to me since the first day i brought him home D=

and i still fall for it every time
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:58 AM   #12 
Sakura8

I wouldn't worry too much about the hardness then. Trying to adjust it, especially since the lady didn't bother to tell you what it was () would probably just upset your bettas and maybe cause them to get sick. And Yuki makes me laugh. Why do bettas love to give us heart attacks???
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:42 PM   #13 
HatsuneMiku

i duno T_T but he's doing it again .. and he's a little swollen .. so i think he's got sbd again @_@ .. which he just got over like a week ago .. back to the hospital tank for him
Old 08-24-2011, 01:50 AM   #14 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress View Post
those test kits can get very expensive .. so how often are you suppose to test your water?
Many members use the API ammonia test kit. It is available at Petco for $7.29 and is good for 130 tests. That's less than six cents per test.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:50 AM   #15 
HatsuneMiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Many members use the API ammonia test kit. It is available at Petco for $7.29 and is good for 130 tests. That's less than six cents per test.
not where i live .. petco only has the ammonia in the master test kit which is like 30 bucks .. and petco online doesn't have the api brand at all ..

and petsmart has the test strips for 14.99 ..

i have 6 tanks total .. it's overly expensive here ..

where do you live ? =D maybe i can pay u to buy me some .. 7 bucks is reasonable ..

all the pricing out here is like 19.99 per each test .. ammonia .. nitrate .. nitrite .. if i wanna do that it'll cost me 60 bucks
Old 08-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #16 
bahamut285

Wow damn $7? I wish you could ship that to Canada XD. Mine are about $30-40 as well.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #17 
Foisair

Amazon.com anyone? Shipping would be the only variable there but it's only $6.77 (not including tax).

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Pharm...4228199&sr=8-1
Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:50 AM   #18 
Hallyx
Reference Team

API Freshwater/Saltwater Ammonia Test Kit at PETCO
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:07 PM   #19 
lordadamar

As a rule I check PH after every water change.. I donhave API's kit for liquid testing but I found for PH this faster and just as reliable and less mess..
http://www.amazon.com/PH-TESTER-600-...4308280&sr=8-1

KH & GH as well during water change...

But one thing about hardness is once you start messing with it, its a life long process. Every water change will effect hardness...

KH & GH also effects the Buffering capability of your water...

Mother Nature loves Balance, so you can spend money Buying PH up or PH Down or Set PH 7 and you will get it to go there for a period of time but it will slowly return to What it Came out of your Faucet at because of Hardness...

Mind you in theory those chemical additives sound all fine and dandy but they can and will cause Moderate to High PH Swings. And a swing over .2 in PH ina short period of time can cause fish to die...

A couple ways to Manage GH in a Controlled fashion is:

Ways to reduce gH
Adding peat moss to your filter
Use commercially available water softening pillows or a water softener (this removes calcium and magnesium ions and replaces them with sodium ions. Many people feels that this is an unacceptable method of softening water as many fish that prefer soft water don’t like sodium either.
Mixing tap water with reverse osmosis (RO) water.

Ways to increase gH
Adding limestone to the aquarium (this will also increase kH which in turn will increase pH)
Adding calcium carbonate will raise gH and kH

I also found that these work well with WATER CHANGES to stabilize the tank in the first day
http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...cidBuffer.html
http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...ineBuffer.html

I hope this isnt to much info, im usually on Planted tank forums where detail is a must... Hope this helps
lordadamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:45 AM   #20 
HatsuneMiku

@lordadamar
i'm sorrie i don't know what KH and GH is .. that is a lot of information to take in and i want to do as much research on it before i make changes in my tank ..

i don't know what is considered a planted tank too .. i have mossball and a betta bulb in one tank .. and the rest of my tanks only have mossball in them

OFL nailed it on the head when she said that even if i tested my water if i duno what the numbers mean .. it'll just confuse me more .. =D

but it's ok =) i'm willing to learn .. i'm sure i'll get it eventually

is hard water really bad for bettas?
is it better to get the 20cents/gal freshwater from those containers that i see in LFS?